Lets talk about- Clean up crews

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Let me add my 2cents, as an honorary member of the CAE club (crabs are evil) let me start out by sayin dont add emerald crabs to a tank that is deep with lots of rocks (therefore not bein able to get them out) unless you dont like small fish and/or leather corals. As Bob Fenner put it best they are oppurtunistic ominvores and when giving the chance/lack of food they will eat fish that you paid $60 for. Clayton (who is always smart) said they are bad too.

-CAE Jiddy

I'll delve into the wonderful world of shrimp :), then get some info together on stars and urchins. BTW, urchins actually help to spore out the coralline algae, so in essence, it helps it to spread.

Let's start off with cleaner shrimp. There are a variety of different types, the most common being Skunk Cleaner, Blood Shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, and the Peppermint Shrimp (clean tank of aiptasia). These critters clean a variety of fish species, and set-up little cleaning stations in crevices and caves waiting for a fish to come in. They attract fish by waving their antennae about, or rocking back and forth. As the fish gets closer, the shrimp dance a little more, and will stroke the fish with the antennae as it gets closer. When the fish stops by, it may pose a certain way. Such as, raising up its gill cover (closest to the shrimp), raising up its fin, or opening up its mouth nice and wide. I've noticed in my own tank these different postures, and the shrimp hops aboard and goes to town picking at the fish.

Here's where the controversy comes into play. Do the shrimp really clean the fish? According to Scott Michael in an article on Coral Realm:

It has long been assumed that these crustaceans ingest parasites and dead tissue. However, there is little information in the scientific literature that actually confirms that they eat parasites. There is one study that demonstrated that Pederson's cleaner shrimp (P. pedersoni) removed juvenile cymothoid isopods from fish hosts. (These researchers did not observe Periclimenes grabhami, Stenopus hispidus, and S. scutellatus removing any parasites, although anecdotal observations suggest that they do.) Cleaner shrimps will also "graze" on the fish's body slime and may ingest bits of fin. The shrimp will pick at the fish's body surface, under the gill covers and in the mouth. The client seems to "enjoy" the tactile stimulation provided by strokes of the antennae and antennules. This reinforces the posing behavior of the client.

Lysmata amboinensis (aka Skunk/White-Striped(L. gabbami)/Eel/Scarlet/Ambon/Humpback/Redline Cleaner Shrimp), are cool shrimp. They tend to be more "outgoing" in comparison to the Blood Shrimp, IMO. You can keep more than one to an aquarium, and will likely get them breeding (they are hermaphroditic). Larvae rearing is another topic all together, and is difficult considering the size of these larvae after hatching. Just consider the larvae to be a tasty treat for those inhabitants that take advantage of it. One thing I read about was the shrimp may lose their desire to clean fish after being in the captive environment over time. I've noticed the opposite in my tank.....the fish have lost interest, while the shrimp are doing everything in their power to get a prospective client. They wave their antennae like mad, and if a fish happens to slow down, they try desperatly to hop on, only to have the fish get away as fast as it can. I think the Anthias are the only fish giving them the time of day anymore. It is suggested the shrimps lack of interest stems from the availability of food in the aquarium....left over food bits are quickly snatched up by the skunk cleaners. If they don't get it as it floats past, then after lights out, the shrimp are likely on the hunt for any left overs. I'm not sure as to why my fish have lost interest in them. One last comment. Anthony Calfo mentions in his Reef Invertebrates book, and I also read an article by Nathan Cope linked below, which talks about these shrimp and Tridacnid clams....some have nipped and harassed them. Shrimp for the Tropical Marine Aquarium Hobby

A word of warning, Lysmata have been known to wade into corals and tear them open to get at recently ingested food. Personally, I haven't experienced this, but I imagine this sort of thing would only occur if the shrimp were not being fed sufficiently. I saw an interesting post on the "reefs" newsgroup recently telling a story about a Redline sitting on a tridacnid clam and tearing at it's mantle. The clam apparently withdrew it's mantle but did not close its valves (shells). The owner of this nefarious shrimp wanted it to cease immediately, so gave it some food. After finishing the food, the shrimp climbed back onto the clam but by this time, the clams mantle was withdrawn well down into the animal, despite the valves still being open. The shrimp was not discouraged; it climbed into the clam whereupon it promptly closed, killing the crustacean.

Lysmata debelius (aka Blood/Fire/Cardinal Shrimp). Same as the Skunk cleaners, only they tend to be more on the shy side. It is also noted that they don't clean as eagerly as the skunks. Beautiful shrimp, with the deep red color carapace, with white spots, and the white antennae.

Stenopus hispidus (aka Coral Banded Shrimp/Banded Coral Shrimp). This species doesn't clean as well as others, but has been known to occasionally clean moray eels in the wild. If anyone has actually seen their Banded Coral Shrimp clean, please post about it. I would love to hear an account. These shrimp should be kept only one per tank (and without other shrimp), unless in a huge environment, where the shrimp can avoid each other, or bought as a pair. Be certain to feed the shrimp a piece of meaty fare, prior to feeding corals or anemones in the tank. This will help to avoid the shrimp stealing the food from the other invert. Quote from same article linked above:

Banded Coral shrimp are known to clean fish in the wild but they tend to be large fish and the cleaning is usually performed while the fish is asleep. In the captive environment, they don't seem to be very interested in their doctor's duties. I do volunteer work at the local public aquarium and in the evening when the tank lights are off but the room lights still on, I've seen a Banded Coral shrimp on its nightly "inspection", wandering around the aquarium with large angels following, trying to "persuade" it to clean them. In the home aquarium, these shrimp are also known to "misinterpret" their cleaning duties and go around the tank "tidying up" by eating small fish! I once had a sick Mandarin Dragonet that swam past a Banded Coral shrimp and it was grabbed with one of the large chelae and held. I intervened, so I don't know what would have happened but I do know that small gobies that I have bought have tended to disappear when I have kept Coral Banded shrimp. Stenopus do not usually behave very harmoniously with other shrimp, either. It's been reported that they will kill Lysmata.

The last shrimp I'll mention is Lysmata wurdemanni (aka Peppermint Shrimp). This shrimp is often employed as clean-up to Aiptasia problems. I know the ones I introduced to the aquarium didn't take long to get rid of the menace anemone. However, it came at a cost....my favorite zoo colony was eaten by these guys. I sat in horror one evening after lights out, watching them destroy my zoos (this was after the aiptasia were wiped out). I only have one left, and have yet to see an aiptasia show its face again, and no other corals have been disturbed by it. The peppermint shrimp in my tank, can be found only at night when it ventures out of its hiding spot. One thing to keep in mind when shopping for peppermint shrimp. Sometimes shrimp from the genus Rhynchocinetes ("movable beak") Hinge-beak/Camel shrimp, are sold as peppermint shrimp. These shrimp will not control pest Aiptasia anemones like "true" peppermint shrimp, according to Anthony Calfo in his Reef Invertebrates book. Here is another link regarding the differences between the two peppermints Identifying Peppermint Shrimp, Lysmata wurdemanni. This article, however, contradicts what Anthony Calfo claims, and says the Camel shrimp do eat aiptasia. I'm pretty confident that my shrimp is a true peppermint shrimp. It has a very short rostrum. I've also witnessed my peppermint shrimp steal food from the RBTA I had in my tank.

So there you have it....:D.....I know, short and to the point, right? lolol. No matter which shrimp you pick out, it will likely scavenge on scraps of left over food, and provide you with entertainment (whether it is observing them clean, or letting them clean your hand).

Thanks Nikki! I love watching my friends Skunk cleaner shrimp do acrobatics in the tank at feeding time. He climbs the walls of the tank, gets on a power head and does backflips trying to get food as it is put into the tank. Don't see a whole lot of his blood shrimp though. I think thet are so fun to watch.

ohh wwou, Thanks Nikki that's very informative :) .
you know i love those fire shrimps, they are amazing, i had one and i remember that everytime i was wearing red, it would come out and try to attack me :D , as for food he would come out and eat some of it too, but i never saw him cleaning fish :p .
Jiddy i know you think all crabs are evil, but at least for me, my crab has been a lot of help trust me, i used to have a huge problem with caulerpa because it spread all over the tank and so as soon as he tasted that green stuff, the tank went from being the most horrible tank to a cute little tank :) (of course my crab is huge now :D ) he tried one time picking on my leather but as soon as he tasted it, he never tried again.

tank with caulerpa
img13255it.jpg

tank with almost no caulerpa :D
img17332fs.jpg

The one thing that I think a lot of people forget when it comes to cleanup crews is that they will eat themselves into starvation. Keep this in mind when you buy. I've experienced this first hand when I bought 100 astrea snails and watched them dwindle down to about 10 over a 3-4 month period.

Know what you are getting and why you are getting them. If you have a sand bed of some kind I highly recommend either a fighting conch (not the queen as they get very big) or a sea slug. They both will keep the sand bed surface very clean. Urchins are great for cleaning the rocks and walls of the tank. They do eat corraline, but if your tank is healthy you really shouldn't notice it all that much. Starfish are great scavengers if you are prone to overfeeding (but I would be careful mixing them, as I had one eat my urchin). Hermits are good scavengers, but just realize that they will kill snails for the shells (even with extra shells in the tank) and will probably go after a coral or two at some point.

It really depends on what you are using the crew for. The best cleanup crew member if you. Know what you are putting into the tank and what you are taking out. If you tackle this you shouldn't need much of a cleanup crew. Selecting fish that are fuctional (i.e. algae grazing tangs, gobies, foxfaces, etc.) can add movement to the tank while serving a purpose. Most of all, understand what causes the algae before trying to add a critter to get rid of it.

Well said Reedman! From my experiences, I like to ad fish, they give alot of movement in the tank. But, since this is my forst Saltwater tank, the shrimp look very cool no matter how little they may contribute. How ever I would like to add a goby or blenny to my tank with a couple shrimp one day. I have a total of 6 snails now and 2 hermits. I think thats the level I am going to keep and add more lively critters from now on.

Starfish are great scavengers if you are prone to overfeeding (but I would be careful mixing them, as I had one eat my urchin).

what !! :eek: but but but they have those spiny thingys on them, how can a starfish eat it ?:confused:

That's how I knew he ate it....I could see the spines pushing his body out of shape. This was a brittle start that had a body the size of a half dollar and a long spine urchine that was probably 2.5" from one spine tip to the other. I was amazed the starfish survived. Another lesson learned on compatability ;)

wwouu dood
i always thought it'd be the opposite, the starfish would get eaten by the urchin but i guess it's all the way around.... amazing :).
by the way, how do you use to move the urchin around? or when you were cleaning your tank, weren't you afraid of those spines ?

I now have a tuxedo urchin in the tank that has much shorter spines so it is not a problem. I usually just clean around it and let it go about its business. You can handle them without getting stuck, just don't man handle them. Treat them with respect and you'll have no problem

ups one more thing, if they for some reason hurt you with one of their spines or if by mistake you hurt yourself handling them, would it be ok or do you pretty much have to go to the doctor?
sorry if i'm asking so many questions but i'd like to know as much as i can about them in case i ever get one :)

I'm happy to hear your questions Gabrielle, you're saving me the time! I get to just read through the responses!

I've never had a problem, but if I had any swelling, numbness, or discoloration...I'd head off to the ER.

I like 'em both myself. Really depends on your tank, algae, and what you like. Long spines are pretty agile and will move around without bulldozing things too much. Tuxedos aren't quite as graceful, but I have yet to have anything be dislodged by mine.

Now that's an interesting comment! I like them both too! Graceful Spiny Urchin - You must be a reefer! :) I would like to get one of them, I don't have an algae problem as yet, my tank has some coraline, nothing overwhelming in either direction. Can you subsidise their food by leaving 'leftovers' that they'd have a chance at?

I just read that The longspine urchin is venomous, comperable to a bee sting. FYI

I also read that the tuxedo and longspine "will be venomous if it dies"

Is there a real difference b/w tuxedo and pincushions?

Last edited:
Back