Light Bulb Comparisons

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kendog261

When I bought my new light it came with a Odyssea 20k bulb. I thought it was very blue :cry: and borrowed a couple bulbs (thanks Paul) to do some comparisons so here are some photos to compare.

Odyssea 20k Brand New Bulb
IMG_5102.JPG

AquaLine Bushke 10k Used
IMG_5105.JPG

Pheonix 14k Used
IMG_5108.JPG

I have a new 10k XM on order I will post it when I get it. :)

Last edited:
which odysea light did you buy if you don't mind me asking, i've got a odysea pc light and it works great but am thinking of getting the metal halide fixture. did you get it from aquatraders?
by the way the odyssea 20k looks pretty much like the 14k phoenix maybe the 20k hasn't been broken in yet?

which odysea light did you buy if you don't mind me asking, i've got a odysea pc light and it works great but am thinking of getting the metal halide fixture. did you get it from aquatraders?
by the way the odyssea 20k looks pretty much like the 14k phoenix maybe the 20k hasn't been broken in yet?

Yes I bought the 20" fixture I upgraded from a pc fixture. heres the link to the one I bought. Im going to post a review in a day or so of the fixture also.

http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=308

Cool...They are very crisp white bulbs. I ran one before. You will notice every single thing floating in your water and will be extremely bright:p I'll keep an eye out for the pic:)

I find that the xm's par value drops very fast during a 6 month period. They are great bulbs however. Try a reeflux 10k, I have been getting some great growth under this bulb

are you running SE or DE?

I find that the xm's par value drops very fast during a 6 month period. They are great bulbs however. Try a reeflux 10k, I have been getting some great growth under this bulb

are you running SE or DE?

Im using DE

Okay so at last here is a photo using the new XM 10k bulb. I dont like it, to me it has way to much yellow, but it is very bright.

IMG_5139%20(Large).JPG

I agree...My 10K XM was extremely white. Not a tint of yellow at all even when first fired up!:confused: That's very strange...

I ran a 12K reeflux before and was really blue! Almost equivalent to a 20K XM!:eek: I'd suggest another brand if you go that route:)

Yea that must be one of the problem bulbs. I also bought the XM 10k last year and it was very yellow, similar to what you have but sent it back for another one, it should be a very crisp white not yellow !

Here's a photo of what the XM 10k should look like:

144_4440.jpg

i just bought an XM 10k...i hope its not yellow like in that first pic..i'll trade it for something else

Back