Lighting idea

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

marlinmero

Marlin
well i dont have the money for three MH. nor do i want the power bill and heat issue. i just upgraded to a 6' tank from a 4' tank and now my lights are to short. im thinking about moving the tek5 to the left or right instead of center and then placing one MH on either end. what do you think?

You could also add a LED Par38 to each end angled slightly inwards, this would give you a very nice POP of colors and a little shimmer over all.

Todd

^^^^^^ that is a great idea. Center your t-5 and use the PAR38s to highlight the ends. Maybe a couple nice show pieces the PAR38 can highlight.

$100 a pop but he won't have to replace the bulb every year. He is looking at 7-10 years life span with the PAR38s. Do the math on replaceing 7-10 MH bulbs at 60-80 a pop x3 for 7-10 years. That is $1260/2400 - spent on replacing bulbs in that time span. And he don't even have the halide ballasts nor reflectors yet so add another $300-400 for them. So if he uses his current lighting and add the PAR38s It would only cost him around $220-250 to add the PAR38s for the next 7-10 years rather than spending $1600-$2800 on lighting in the same time span. Quite a bit of a difference in money if you look at long term.

Last edited:
$100 a pop but he won't have to replace the bulb every year. He is looking at 7-10 years life span with the PAR38s. Do the math on replaceing 7-10 MH bulbs at 60-80 a pop x3 for 7-10 years. That is $1260/2400 - spent on replacing bulbs in that time span. And he don't even have the halide ballasts nor reflectors yet so add another $300-400 for them. So if he uses his current lighting and add the PAR38s It would only cost him around $220-250 to add the PAR38s for the next 7-10 years rather than spending $1600-$2800 on lighting in the same time span. Quite a bit of a difference in money if you look at long term.

Great Idea Roscoe! it would look good to "center your t-5 and use the PAR38s to highlight the ends. Maybe a couple nice show pieces the PAR38 can highlight"

Totally agree, nice lights, plus save on power and bulbs. Would like to see the finished product :eek:)

- Jen

My t-5's are centered already. i had em centered over my 75. do you think 6 led's on each end would be enough? i know nothing about led's. know of anyone that has em on there tank already? id like to see what they can do

What are RC's requirments to view the sale forums? I created my account a year ago and for the life of me can't remember....although I guess it probably doesn't matter cause I wouldn't spend enough time posting on that forum to get there. With a forum that big i'd rather just read.

lol I read "MH on each side" and thought you meant on the ACTUAL sides of the tank, not the sides of the top. Then I realized it's been a long week and I'm tired and that wouldn't make any sense....

Back