Lighting options

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

nwreef

Hi All -

I'm getting ready to setup a 50 gallon (24x24x20) I'm looking into Metal Halide options and honestly I'm a little overwhelmed. The tank will be mixed reef, but I want to be able to keep Maxima clams, nems, and SPS at some point. My question is I saw the tank mount Bimini sun by Hamilton (looking at the 150W 14,000K hqi phoenix bulb one) would this support the guys in this tank? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

It should work fine. It will have to sit some distance above the tank because halides generate allot of heat and you can cook your corals. Also, unless you are getting it really cheap, I would look at another option. Halides are becoming old school and many people are shying away from them due to the heat and power consumption issue, they suck allot of power. I would rather look into a nice LED that are sold by Oceans by Design or Barrier Reef, They have reasonably priced units and I would rather invest my money into one of those units instead and you can grow anything you like. Some people love their halides and probably will disagree but they get very hot and increase your electric bill. JMO

I used to run metal halides. When I ran 175 watt bulbs, I found I could only grow sps in the top 1/2 of the aquarium. Clams did great on the bottom. I upgraded to lumateck dimmable ballast. They have the capability of running 150, 175, 250 watt bulbs. I have 250 watt HQI lumenarc shields. A 250 watt bulb does a great job for 2 feet wide. I ran Ushio 14k bulbs. The bulb you choose makes a big difference in appearance & color. If you like a white color, you will need to supplement your metal halide bulb with t5 actinics so your corals will have good color. If you like the blue look, 20k bulbs don't need actinics. 14k bulbs vary greatly by brand. Ushio is a white look. Many other brands are more blue. 10k bulbs have a yellow tint. If you decide on buying metal halide, I strongly recommend not getting a 150 watt. I don't think it penatrates deep enough. I love to watch a metal halide turn on. Its like a sunrise! On the downside, they produce heat, consume lots of power, & bulbs need annual replacement. I had ballast die & needed new bulbs so I decided to try LED. Most led fixtures are outrageously priced. I bought a few units off ebay between $260-285. They have built in timers & simulate sunrise/sunset. You can get leds that don't ramp up & down for much less.

I think the LED's at OBD and Barrier are in the $250 range, I am not sure though, you might call them.

Thank you both for your inputs. If I ran MH the bulb I was looking at was the Phoenix 14k and then run T5 for the actinics. Running a 250 watt on this tank (20" deep) could I grow SPS on the sand bed?
Still deciding....to many stinking options!

I have tried VHO, power compact, t5, metal halides, & leds. I was hesitant on leds because they are so expensive & technology is changing. You can get leds made in China that work great! My leds change intensity throughout the day. I thought metal halides were awesome until I got leds. I had top of the line halide set up & its not as good as my cheaper Chinese leds.

Well I've decided on going LED for a number of issues. I saw a LUMENTEK PRO 120 by reef radiance for $279 free ship seems like a great deal. They had said it will grow anything I wanted in this tank.

I am too late, but get the Kessils. They aren't controllable, but I think you will love the growth and color.

I went from 2x250 on my 125 to 2x160 led's and would never go back, the heat, the energy and the $150 a year for bulbs and I have a tank full of nems, they didn't even blink on the switch over

I bought a Kessil 360W for my 60 gallon 24X24X24. I could not be happier with it. Granted its still a new tank but the shimmer effect from the single point light source is alone worth it :D

I looked hard at the Kessils but the fact they are not controllable is why I didn't go with them. Ultimately making the decision to do LED on this tank was heat issue from MH since I don't plan on running a chiller. I talked with my LFS and apparently they don't run chillers, I guess they use frozen water bottles in the tank if they need to.

The A360 is controllable if you have a Apex or similar. I do wish they would have a built in controller but if they did I probably couldn't afford them :oops:

The A360 is controllable if you have a Apex or similar. I do wish they would have a built in controller but if they did I probably couldn't afford them :oops:

Right with an Apex they are controllable but since I don't have an Apex.... Yes it seems like they would offer something built in, but I guessing that's how they keep the price down, although I don't consider $399 cheap :frown:
But I've read some good reviews with the setup I chose so as long as it can grow whatever I choose to put in I'll be happy.

You made a good choice. I have the Kessil A360W, but I tried other LED units before it and they worked out great too. Kessils can wait until you are ready to splurge. The day will come.

Back