Lighting Question(s) for Anthony and all!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Kinerson

Hi everyone :) I have a few questions for the gang.

1) If I only run MH without actinic supplements will the "shimmer" be more pronunced?

2) I believe 10k lamps are generally better at growing corals then 20k. Is this because 10k's typically have higher PAR then 20k? If you could find eaqual PAR in 10k vs 20k would the 20k be better in that you get the same growth rates but also get better coloring?

3) Any reccomendations on 175w MH lamps without actinic suplements?

Anthony, you have allways been very helpful to me and you thoughts would be much appreciated as well :)

Thanks guys,
Greg

Check out the link Greg

Greg I am not going to say a whole lot Because most of this is personal Choice however Please check out this resource Mojo has set up It has help Me Immensely :
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71
Also check out the links to what by Sanjay Joshi, Ph.D. has to offer.;)
Hope this gets you started ...Jeff

Hi everyone :) I have a few questions for the gang.

1) If I only run MH without actinic supplements will the "shimmer" be more pronunced?Can't help you here

2) I believe 10k lamps are generally better at growing corals then 20k. Is this because 10k's typically have higher PAR then 20k? If you could find eaqual PAR in 10k vs 20k would the 20k be better in that you get the same growth rates but also get better coloring?See what Sanjay has to say

3) Any reccomendations on 175w MH lamps without actinic suplements?
check out this link:http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/11/aafeature2

Anthony, you have allways been very helpful to me and you thoughts would be much appreciated as well :)

Thanks guys,
Greg

Thanks Jeff. I have read some of these already but have not seen many of them. I just printed a couple to read on my lunch break tomorrow.

Greg

Good to know

Hey Greg pass on a little more about your tank How deep is it? How long? what do you want to keep as far as live stock ?? This might help other give some other pointers as well...Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I have read some of these already but have not seen many of them. I just printed a couple to read on my lunch break tomorrow.

Greg

It's a 150 gal, 6' long, 29"tall mixed reef with mainly lps and softies. I currently have 2 175w 12k MH and 2 vho actinics.

What I think I want to do is to discontinue the actinics and start using my third metal halide that I haven't yet used. I want to have all 3 metal halides to be around 20k to help replace the loss of the actinics. I'm hoping this will create more "shimmer" in my reef. I'm also hoping the change won't hinder overall growth/health of corals. It will also reduce my electric bill by about 185 watts.

The XM 175w 20k bulbs have PAR rating higher then my current MH bulbs (51ppfd).

Greg

Back