Lite Rail system...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

-=dieseldave=- said:
Ed,
You might want to check out Sunlight Supply, they also have a light rail setup.
Thanks Dave, I already purchased it. I keep waiting for it to show up at my door. :)

wow i dont think ive seen a 4 foot by 4 foot tank before thats really cooland u going to be able to view it from all angles
btw i run 1 400watt 14000k over a 4foot by 14'' by 18'' deep

i personally love the rail, i've installed several of them in oregon, and talked BS into doing one over their 3 tier system when i worked there.
the growth patterns and rates were increased in the systems with the rail,
because the corals receive light from different angles like in the wild, it is quiet, and i didnt find them distracting, but thats just me.

great experiment

Hello,

I'm kinda new here but i've been at this for nearly 15 years. I have often thought about using a light mover/rail system. I think that the biggest reason i have not is that i already own two mh fixtures. Anyways I believe that you are on to something even if the rail moves back and forth every 13min it shouldn't make a difference. The object here is to give even light and distibute it as efficently as possible. If you have read about the effects that surface motion and weatherhas on light and in turn on corals then having low and high periods of light should help to more efficently recreate nature. In addition the electrical savings could be amazing.

Looking forward to seeing how this works out for you Ed. So I see you got the tank all buffed and looking good...so lets see it up and running! You need to start a new thread on the member showcase...just get it done already:D

there's been alot of research on moving lights effecting the growth and termination of plant canopies,:p
but i dont think anyone has done the same research for corals, at least that i've heard of .
it seems like the positive effects would transfer over to corals the same as plants, and as i said i personally have noticed positive differences in corals, but thats not very scientific, i know.
shawn who used to own waves in portland turned me on to doing it, and granted those systems were propagation and holding systems, not display systems, so there is a question of asthetics as well.
but, one of the coolest looking systems i've ever seen is the reef display at aqua serene in eugene oregon, and it has a circular light mover that twists 2 lights back and forth in a circle over the reef, he has it like 5'-6' off the surface with 2 1000w bulbs if im not mistaken, absoluely amazing(if you've never seen his store it's almost worth the trip to eugene just for that).

morgan said:
wow i dont think ive seen a 4 foot by 4 foot tank before thats really cooland u going to be able to view it from all angles
btw i run 1 400watt 14000k over a 4foot by 14'' by 18'' deep
Hello Morgan,
The builder for my stand said he would finish the other 4 doors for canopy and other four doors for stand if needed. He left the stand with that option. I have no complaints, especially for the bill of all his work. The tank will sit in the corner with two sides out. If I ever sold it, or wanted to make it a center piece, I could buy the other doors.

Todd come on down and see it this week end if you want or just give me a call and stop by. Anyone that wants to see what has been done to Susie"s old tank can see it this week end and have a bite to eat also while learning from Elmo..
There are a lot of things going on this week end in South Eastern Part of State the 13th. Spokane has a really nice Barbeque with acrylic demo, Midcolumbia has a Yard Sale on 12 and 13th, then a Club Meeting at my house. You all are welcome. :)
I still have not recieved the lite rail system, but I am counting the moments until I do.:)

Ed Hahn said:
Hello Morgan,
The builder for my stand said he would finish the other 4 doors for canopy and other four doors for stand if needed. He left the stand with that option. I have no complaints, especially for the bill of all his work. The tank will sit in the corner with two sides out. If I ever sold it, or wanted to make it a center piece, I could buy the other doors.

Todd come on down and see it this week end if you want or just give me a call and stop by. Anyone that wants to see what has been done to Susie"s old tank can see it this week end and have a bite to eat also while learning from Elmo..
There are a lot of things going on this week end in South Eastern Part of State the 13th. Spokane has a really nice Barbeque with acrylic demo, Midcolumbia has a Yard Sale on 12 and 13th, then a Club Meeting at my house. You all are welcome. :)
I still have not recieved the lite rail system, but I am counting the moments until I do.:)
I won't be able to make it down next weekend but that doesn't exonerate you from the resposibility you have to your fellow reefers here to start a new thread in the "Members Showcase" section:p We want to see the progress! ok, I really want to see the progress since I am considering an upgrade to the same is on my cube;)

Back