Little bit of a bad day!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Sorry I took so long to respond. I did a water change to lower the salinity right away. I have dropped the salinity below 1.010. (the temp on the pic is inaccurate, its actually 78-79.)

Detri...Is that hydrometer always in the tank? I've never seen them like that before as mine is one that you submerse read and wash out directly with freshwater. If so, are they known to be reliable? I would be afraid to have one in the tank 24/7 for the simple fact that algae or salt or whatever may develop on the needle and give a false reading...Just a thought...

Yea its in there all the time. Haven't heard anything bad about them though. I take mine out daily to rinse off.

The LFS dude said the water is 15 ppt, is that to low? He seems to think so. But, he isn't the guy I talk to all the time. He isn't as knowledgeable about saltwater as the guy I like to deal with.

Detri...Is that hydrometer always in the tank? I've never seen them like that before as mine is one that you submerse read and wash out directly with freshwater. If so, are they known to be reliable? I would be afraid to have one in the tank 24/7 for the simple fact that algae or salt or whatever may develop on the needle and give a false reading...Just a thought...

you know Ron dood, i think krish has a good point with the algae growing on it.
how ofter do you clean it?

To convert your specific gravity to salinity, have a peek at this: SaltyZoo's Salinity Conversion (Specific Gravity/ ppt). On a side note, there are other calculators in that link. Beware if you happen to look at the salinity adjustment calculator....you have to use salinity and not specific gravity for the numbers or else it won't come out right.

I imagine the person at the LFS isn't understanding hyposalinity treatment. Salinity of 15 ppt will seem really low to someone that doesn't understand what you are doing, but ideally for hyposalinity treatment you don't want to go above 16 ppt. At least that's what I recall from Terry's article. Shooting for a salinity of 14 ppt would be best, as it would allow you some room for error.

Also, I wouldn't leave your hydrometer in the tank at all times. Use it to read the tank water, then rinse it in RO/DI water and store in a ziploc bag. My thoughts are the salt water may harm the swingarm apparatus over time, in which case, you will get inaccurate readings.

Hope this helps.

Well it's been 4 weeks since the last outbreak. I am going to start raising the Salinity today. Hopefully in a couple weeks he will be back in my display tank. And I can start buying more fish :)

Make sure you do not raise the salinity until 4 weeks have past since seeing the last spot on the fish. A simple 4 week treatment is not always sufficient to be sure the parasite is erradicated so the extra time may be needed. Call it a margin of safety.

When it does come time to increase the salinity, be sure it is done very slowly. Too quickly will harm the fish so be sure you increase over bout 7-10 days.

Cheers
Steve

Your right Steve, Its only been 3 weeks. The 27th will be 4 weeks on the nose. I'll wait till the first of the new year to start raising the Salinity.

Would it be ok if i took water from the main tank and used that, about a gallon at a time, to raise the salinity over time?

Steve, after the desired salinity is attained, should the fish stay in QT for an additional week?

Detri said:
Would it be ok if i took water from the main tank and used that, about a gallon at a time, to raise the salinity over time?
Considering your original post, I'm not completely clear on the circumstances of where the fish was at the time? If the fish was never in the main and the display is parasite free then yes, that would be fine. If not, I wouldn't unless the tank has been through at least a 6 week fallow time but preferabley 8. You risk transfering any stray trophonts if not done correctly.

NaH2O said:
Steve, after the desired salinity is attained, should the fish stay in QT for an additional week?
2 preferabley. One week is usually not conclusive as to the effectiveness of the treatment and secondary issues may not show up after only one week at full salinity.

Cheers
Steve

Back