Little fishes NC build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

little fishes

I just love all the progression threads so I have decided to start one this time around. I decided to do it here on RF because I have made so many great reefer friends in the NorthWest over the last six years!

Patrick and I moved to NC in February. I had to tare my tank down for the move and I can hardly stand not having a reef! I miss all my critters soo much and can't wait for the day they can come and live with me again!

We closed on a house June 15th and started getting the tank set back up in August.

Here is the current set up (all moved from WA):

60X25x24 155 gallon starphire tank with a center overflow
Maple veneer stand and canopy from natural wood crafters
36x16x18 ADHI refugium
Iwaki 40 returning to ¾ seaswirl
1/3hp aqua logic chiller
2 tunzes for extra circulation
2x 250 watt HQI on PFO HQI ballast

Got it all plumbed just a few weeks ago and started loading it up right away!

Saltwater in 8/29

~100 lbs rock added 8/30 (has been curing separately in the absence of corals and fish since 5/29)

Here are some pics from 8/30
tank_001_comp.jpg

tank_003_comp.jpg

40lbs of sand added 9/2

Clown fish tank raised locally added 9/6.

90lbs of sand added 9/10

I have been playing with the position of the Tunzes. In WA they were in the front corners pointing across the tank to the opposing back corners. This gave a great flow pattern but meant the pumps were right up front in the view. I did not particularly care for the way that looked, but it seems everything else I am trying is pushing the sand away from the front of the tank and causing one heck of a sand storm. Ahh-well they may have to stay out front. I may actually need to replace them altogether. Of the 2 controllables one sets off the alarm and of the 2 non-controllables one has a rattle. I am going to see about possible repair first though.

Any suggestions from anyone that has a good working flow pattern in a high flow tank with a sand bed on pump types and positions?

Hey Tracy, I think I will hang around here for a while!!!:D:D Glad to hear you have gotten things going again.

To answer your question, yes, I have my 300 back to a SPS tank, if you like, I can post links to 3 different threads that I have working, 1 on this site and 2 others. Let me know.

I could not stand it any longer so I got the Q-tank up and running a couple weeks ago and bought me some critters last Saturday (11/07)… about time I have something to look at again:D

The Quarantine is a 56 gallon column tank (30x18x24) with a CPR backpack skimmer I snagged for free (it sucks but at least it oxygenates the water and I plan to modify it).

Now for the critters =) Since I have no clean up crew or anything other than the single clown fish, I bought a few little fellers to help me with the cleaning:

3 mexican turbo snails
3 pink turbo snails
3 nessarius snails
3 astrea snails
5 mini tiny little blue leg hermits
1 emerald crab
3 peppermint shrimp

I also got a pair of banggai cardinals and a pink cynaria

These are all in quarantine until I am reasonably certain they are "clean" then off help clean the display and make room for the next arrivals! I hope the clown has not gotten to used to having all 155 gallons to himself :p

How to entertain yourself on a rainy Wednesday evening...

1. Turn off all the lights in your house except for your tank lights
2. Make sure your fish are good and hungary ( I hope you did not feed them dinner yet)
3. release a house fly
4. laugh hysterically as the fly bangs into and crawls around on your aquarium glass trying figure out hoe to get in towards the light and your fish try desperately to figure out how to get hold of that tasty looking meal.

The banggai’s in my quarantine tank were beside themselves with excitement- too funny:lol: They definitely have a good appetite!

1. Turn off all the lights in your house except for your tank lights
2. Make sure your fish are good and hungary ( I hope you did not feed them dinner yet)
3. release a house fly
4. laugh hysterically as the fly bangs into and crawls around on your aquarium glass trying figure out hoe to get in towards the light and your fish try desperately to figure out how to get hold of that tasty looking meal.

Sounds like late 70's entertainment.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Tracy,,,glad to see you back again,, welcome again back to the reefer
i got ahold to one of your coral ,,that Reed gave it to me and told me he got it from you recongized this one? ,,still like to ID this one and i will reserved one for the original ownwer(you) for sure,,here it is
reedss.jpg

i like it:)

Last edited:
Back