live rock

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jnance

Sailing Anyone?
If i wanted to get my live rock all white and clean again how would i go about doing this? and would it have any effect on my system? gracias once again

I've boiled my rock in a pot of water for a few hours to kill off everything and it turned it white. That and also, I've placed some rock outside in the baking sun for a few months. The only downfall to doing any of these is you kill everything in the rock...Good and bad. You will be basically left with base rock so if you plan to do all of the rocks in your tank at once, then you will basically have to start all over from scratch with the cycling process. All of your beneficial bacteria would have been lost. :)

It all depends on how much your system relies on your rock, how old the setup is etc., but I think in most cases, it's kind of risky. Live rock plays a major role in biological filtration so killing off all the rock in the tank will in some way affect things. To what degree, it's hard to say, but I personally feel if you kill all the rock, it will basically be like you are staring over again as the rock will need to be re-populated once again with aerobic and anaerobic bacteria (thus cycle again) in order for it to function once again biologically where filtration is concerned:)

Last edited:
negative on the sand..... i think if you clean all your rock at once and dont remove your inhabs... you will have a crash..

your talking of restarting the tank?

get all your buddies outta the tank. get them in somewhere safe for a few months...
and then remove and cook the rock... keep a shell or something that has some nice coraline algae on it.... replace that in to the tank when your ready to keep it going ageain

I would find an alternate route to get rid of aptasia if that is the case. Peppermint shrimp / hot water / kalk paste etc. Not worth destroying the rock IMO.

I would find an alternate route to get rid of aptasia if that is the case. Peppermint shrimp / hot water / kalk paste etc. Not worth destroying the rock IMO.

Obviously you haven't dealt with a big outbreak of these, It isn't as easy as one two three. Those fast cures only last a while but usually they pop back up in about 6 to 8 weeks, in the exact spot. Also In a large tank you miss one under a rock your back to square one because you may not see it until it had puppies LOL

I have soaked LR in a tub with bleach & then boiled it later, renewed LR can be a good thing but I do agree that is a last resort. I'm sure If you have a loaded tank, trying to do it all at once wouldn't be good as mentioned.

thanks guys.. yeah i need to get rid of aptasia.. all my shrimp can barely walk around without getting caught on one! im thinking about taking a wire brush to them outside of the system and then adding a few peppermints.. even though i dont carry much faith in anemone eating shrimp.. maybe though.. thanks again

Obviously you haven't dealt with a big outbreak of these, It isn't as easy as one two three. Those fast cures only last a while but usually they pop back up in about 6 to 8 weeks, in the exact spot. Also In a large tank you miss one under a rock your back to square one because you may not see it until it had puppies LOL

I have soaked LR in a tub with bleach & then boiled it later, renewed LR can be a good thing but I do agree that is a last resort. I'm sure If you have a loaded tank, trying to do it all at once wouldn't be good as mentioned.

Actually I have dealt with it. It is by no means fun and no doubt work. I valued the other life on my LR enough to not destroy it. It does not happen over night. My tank has remained free of these pests for two years.

Shoot the ones you can get to easy with boiling water or kalk water and invest in some peppermint shrimp. I would work on it a while before getting drastic.

Last edited:
Boiling LR is easily done & will be re-seeded very quickly, bacteria multiplied so fast you won't believe how well that rock will look after a while.
Red you didn't read what I said about having a BIG outbreak, a few may be an easy task. Also you must get the right peppermint shrimp & not the ones that look the same but will not eat them.

I have the same problem:badgrin: My tank is currently a aptasia farming experiment. I wonder how big you can grow a single aptasia:)

Don

Impressive. can I buy some of those Don? Wonder if you can dye them with food coloring?

Shoot some dye in one of them and see what happens. May need to add some salt.:D I will take a blue one.

LOL u2 are funny...

ive seen them as big as 2" across.....

the look like an anonome... beleave that...

sometimes i dont see the problem with em...

then i relize they sux...

im haveing a little out brake of em...

i think ill have to get a pepper mint ageain.. that keep em in check..

Back