Longhorn Cowfish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

shark1

I have heard many good things, and many bad things about these fish. I realize that they can secrete poison that will kill the tank, but I was told this was extremely rare, and also does not happen when the animal dies. True?
Also, I know they can get up to 21 inches in the wild, but what is the size they will attain in an aquarium? Would a 100g tank be too small for this guy?

Thanks for the help...is anyone keeping one of these guys right now?

Also: Will a sailfin tang fight with a Blue/Hippo tang? It is the same genus as a Yellow tang, and they will fight correct?

on the tangs. they can and sometimes do get along. They need to be added at the same time. In a 150 I take care of there is a blue hippo, a yellow, and a blonde naso all together.
cowfish I know nothing about.

for the most part you want to avoid the similar bodied tangs like the Achilles and the Powder Blue, Brown and so on. You dont want a clown tang and a sohal tang in the same tank together as a general rule. There are always exceptions to these rules as I have seen fish like clown triggers living in the same tank as a baby false percula clown. There is always someone saying that it can be done but in order to keep the peace it isnt recommended. The longhorn cowfish are sort of a hit and miss kind of a fish. I have known some LC's to nuke a whole tank when they die and some tanks that have had two boxfish die in the same day and nothing was affected. Sorry I couldnt give you any solid answers but sometimes you have to roll the dice and see how they land.

Cowfish can poison a tank but I think you'd be hard pressed to find one in a thousand that it's happened to (a little exagerated but... ). More importantly though you should not house this type of fish with boisterous species like tangs. They do best with docile tankmates that will not outcompete for food and not continually stress them with overt activity.

Cheers
Steve

Longhorn Cowfish - Lactoria cornuta

Hi Shark 1 I have a Longhorn Cowfish - Lactoria cornuta in my 150 gallon Reef tank has been in this tank 8 month so far When i got it, It was the size of a grape:D It is about 4" long now! Gets along with My tangs just great !they dont fight with it no fish except My cleaner neons bug it It dosen't like the Neons cleaning it :mad: Its favorite food is safeway Nori:p and As for the tangs I have a Powder blue ,Tenneti,Purple Tang & a Scopas and they all seem to get along ok I am quite lucky compard to other Reefers
Is your 100 tank 48" long? or is it a 72" (long)

shark1 said:
I have heard many good things, and many bad things about these fish. I realize that they can secrete poison that will kill the tank, but I was told this was extremely rare, and also does not happen when the animal dies. True?
Also, I know they can get up to 21 inches in the wild, but what is the size they will attain in an aquarium? Would a 100g tank be too small for this guy?

Thanks for the help...is anyone keeping one of these guys right now?

Also: Will a sailfin tang fight with a Blue/Hippo tang? It is the same genus as a Yellow tang, and they will fight correct?

Well, my tank is 48", that is what I am concerned about. It is not setup yet! I have a 30 gallon sump, Aqua-C Skimmer, Magnum 350 (will be running carbon occasionally), 2 VHO's, 2 10,000K actinics.
My stocking ideas so far: (Don't worry, they will be added once tank is established)
2 percula clowns
Flame Angel
Mandarin Dragonet
Blue Tang
Desjardin Tang (maybe a Tennenti Tang now, those are really cool!)
Longhorn Cowfish
Lawnmower Blenny
Royal Gramma, or Firefish

Then the usual cleaner snails, a starfish or two, and a Fire Shrimp. (Corals and anemones once I have a good hold on the fish side of things)

Am I totally overdoing it in terms of Bioload?

My wife had a longhorn and it was the size of a grape an it was actually braver and tougher than our tangs and would be right in the middle of the nori competing with the tangs. you have to be careful that when they are little that the current in your tank doesnt push it under a rock and get stuck or that it gets near a pump cuase the nori will get sucked to the bottom part of the pump or little wave maker and the longhorn will get sucked to it. My wife has had to save hers many times from these things. Ours grew to about 4 inches long. We have neon gobie cleaner fish that didnt harm her skin. But we have a lawnmower blenny that had a identiy crisis and took on that he was a cleaner fish and we caught him trying to clean the cowfish and in doing so, he caused her to have skin problems and ulcers and my wife medicated with melifix and it would look like it was doing better and then end up breaking out bad again. It never did recover and it finally died. Longhorn cowfish are not as toxic as some of the other cowfish. SOme cowfishes are very toxic. We would stress our cowfish many times cause it decided it like some of our corals and clams so we catch and put her in our 75 tank. When she got naughty in that tank, we gave her a time out in put her back in the 150 tank. So we moved her back and forth and each time the tangs in both tanks left her alone. We have a hippo tang, scopulas tang, powder blue tang, tentini tang, purple tang all in the 150 tank and they never harrassed her. In the 75 tank we have a atlantic tang and it never bothered our cowfish. After losing her, my wife had to replace her with another one. SO we bought another one the size of a grape and put her in an established tank with all these big tangs and they left her alone. What got our new one was the neon goby cleaners, they did affect her skin and we lost her the same way we did with the other cowfish. Skin problems. So we are waiting till the neon gobies pass away before we get another cowfish. SO with my experience with cowfishes, the tangs will be less of a threat to it than the cleaner fish. The cleaner fish will aggitate her skin and you may lose her that way. But as far as a longhorn polluting your tank and you losing stuff, you have a greater chance of losing stuff from putting in a coral and it polluting your tank an killing your fish and other corals. We have had that happen before and never having had 2 longhorn cowfish and we have had a hawiann cowfish and they have never polluted tanks that did any damage to themselves or anything else in the tank. But longhorn cowfish is my wife's favorite fish and they sure do have personality. Ours would stare at the door waiting for us to come home. Where ever you were in the house, it would be at that end of the tank watching you and wanting you to feed it. We fed ours by hand. As it got older, it would sometimes bite your fingers on accident when you fed it by hand and it was starting to take alittle piece of our skin off our thumbs. So would have hated to see what damage she could do to you when she got bigger. Everything we have read is that the longhorn could get up to 18 inches in the tank. when it gets bigger, it has huge pooh's. When ours was 2 inches long, it was poohing as much as our huge hippo. OUrs also got the taste for xenia. So becareful, it may have a taste for clams if you have any and also corals and ours did attack one fire shrimp after our file fish taught her. But she only did it to one of our many shrimps. The other shrimps she never bothered. So good luck and I hope this helped you.

wow, thanks for the response. That is very helpful info. Does anyone have a thought on my stocking list? Is that too many fish for a 100 gallon? Also, has anyone had luck getting Southdown sand on the westcoast?

shark1 said:

I'm not an expert by any means, but in my 210 gallon tank I have a Blue tang, Yellow tang & Sailfin tang that get along fantastically, we call them the Tang Gang. But when I introduced a fourth tang, a Scopas tang, the yellow tang freaked out & I had to move the Scopas to a different tank.

Back