Looking fo a new skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

woody283

Im looking to replace my remora on a 30g reeftank. im looking at the wm h2x or one of the octopus models 1000 or 800s. Any info or opinions on these models woud be great. or if there are other ones i should look at. i only want to spend about 300$. All help will be greatly appriciated.

I would definately go with the wm over the remora or octo. There is also a bubble magnus hot that looks nice as well. nuocean.com is the only seller that i know of.

It has to be hob. ive got it down to 2 skimmers. the scw 500i or the wm h2x.Does any one know when the h2x is going to be released and where i can get one

Ask Jon about that, he's a helful guy and will get back with you soon i'm sure.

the sedra on the H2x is alot nicer pump than the otp pump on the SWC bh-500, fwiw...
i own the h1 and run it on my 30g oceanic cube and it's awesome.
this is 2 1/2 days of skimmate from a tank with 1 fish, 1 shrimp and and mabye 25 sps frags
wmh11.jpg

i also bought a octopus bh-800 with sicce, because i had the skimmer on my 15g die on me, (local impulse buy)so now im moving the h1 to the 15g and putting the bh-800 on the 30g temporarily, until i get my sump together. and i'd say if your a skimmer n00b then this is a bad skimmer to get, out of the box it's a nightmare and requires pump detuning and extra rubberbands on the collection cup in order to keep it from overflowing water form the reaction chamber onto the floor. also, CV ripped the design off completely form SWC, and just slapped the sicce pump in it...which is a horrible match for the size of the reaction chamber and the neck diameter, hence my pump de-tuning (removal of pins from the pinwheel). notice SWC only puts the otp pump which gets 500lph in there, because that's all the neck can handle. then there's the problematic siphon imput wich is a pain and often leaks air into it and breaks the siphon unless it's glued with silicone, and the ugly surface skimmer, but i know it helps it skim better.
so why you may ask did i buy this skimmer?? because im a skimmer savant and i knew i could mod it to make it work, and i paid less for it than the internet+shipping price, and i do really like the sicce pump, it just has to be modified for this skimmer. i would rather have issues with the pump being too powerful as opposed to being a weak pos.
so yes, the WM hob is a much better designed skimmer with no real issues to speak of, comparatively. and theres room for your heater and bag of carbon/rowa in the skimmer body as well.

i just wish that WM or SWC would design a hob with a sicce (wink wink, nudge nudge)... :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I pretty much had my mind made up about the wm. Its for a 30 oceanic cube also. will the h1 do the trick or shud i get the h2 or wait for the h2x? Will the h2 be overkill for the tank?

If you want to get the better, then wait for the newer version to come out. But either or will work.

Back