Looking to purchase refractometer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Nimitz

I've ben out of the hobby for many years and have just started to setup a new 150g mixed reef system. In shopping for refractometers the price range is from $39 to $79 on ave. Is there really a difference in quality or capability to merit this?

Which brands do you all recommend? Thanks.

I was going to post on this topic last night. I have a cheaper Marine Depot refractometer and it is always falling out of calibration. I re-calibrate it every time I use it. Also, I'm not sure if my calibration solution is still good. I will investigate further this weekend.

Jason

I dunno, I believe that there are some refracs out there that are not designed for saltwater, they're for measuring the sugar content of wine, juices; and I've seen them peddled as being acceptable by unscrupulous vendors. Here's the one I have, it works just fine and not grossly expensive-
http://www.marinedepot.com/Captive_...Captive_Purity-CP2111-FITEOPRF-CP2111-vi.html

I don't feel that there is a need to buy one with the built in light unless you live in a cave and use candles for light.

I dunno, I believe that there are some refracs out there that are not designed for saltwater, they're for measuring the sugar content of wine, juices; and I've seen them peddled as being acceptable by unscrupulous vendors. Here's the one I have, it works just fine and not grossly expensive-
http://www.marinedepot.com/Captive_...Captive_Purity-CP2111-FITEOPRF-CP2111-vi.html

I don't feel that there is a need to buy one with the built in light unless you live in a cave and use candles for light.

Thanks! that was one i have been considering ...

+1 on cheap china (blue case) ones having to be re-calibrated every time you use them. Any suggestions on good brands?

I bought the Vertex one sold by Barrier reef for $49.99 I think. When you pic it up it feels sturdy because its made out of metal. I don't have to recalibrate it, and when I do its barely off. Price is comparable to online vendors but you probably won't get out the door with just the refractometer. LOL NVM thought you were local.

Last edited:
Nope, DW will give a incorrect reading. All refracts we use are set to NaCl, ie. salt water and not seawater. We use PinPoint 53 mS solution to calibrate the meters, which are good for our wokinmg range for reef tanks. You put a drop on the glass plate and cal the meter to read 1.0264. If you cal it with DW or RO/DI water it will be off and read 1.5 ppt to low. However, some of these cheap Chinese meters can be off anywhere form 0- 5 ppt. Another reason for cal'ing them :)

You can read more about it here

Refractometers and Salinity Measurement
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-12/rhf/index.php

I much prefer to use my box swing arm hydrometers that I keep clean with white vinegar and rinse after every use.
I calibrated them against my certified calibrated Fisher Scientific hydrometer and cut material off the swing arm to lower the reading for one, and cut material off the weight material to bring the reading up on the other one.
I only check the boxes against the certified hydrometer once a year and find daily use of the box to be quite convenient.
At a club meeting last year, nine refractometers, some the same brand, gave readings up to 3ppt different even though the owners swore to the calibration of their unit.
I've used my certified calibrated hydrometer to check other hobbyists swing arms but the newer ones we just mark the variation on the plastic hydrometer because the newer ones don't come apart to adjust like the old ones did.

Yes, those HM Digital are really great meters. You will find no meter of the quality of these that do what these do for the price. That $59.95 - HM DIGITAL COM-100 TDS METER-WATERPROOF EC /TDS /TEMP COMBO METER ....is a God send :) Many $200- 400 meters do not do what this one does. And they normally sell for ~ $100 retail

HM DIGITAL PH200 - $80.00

Yes, those HM Digital are really great meters. You will find no meter of the quality of these that do what these do for the price. That $59.95 - HM DIGITAL COM-100 TDS METER-WATERPROOF EC /TDS /TEMP COMBO METER ....is a God send :) Many $200- 400 meters do not do what this one does. And they normally sell for ~ $100 retail

HM DIGITAL PH200 - $80.00

OK, pardon my confusion (already thinking about the weekend), but; are you telling me to get the COM-100 or the PH200?

THanks! :)

Back