Lost Creek 270

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well, I just plunged ahead this weekend and fixed my ATI Bubble-Master 250 skimmer, kinda needed to get it over with, crappy weather is good for indoor activities and all that.
The first thing I found out is that it's really hard to find a container the right size to soak the base in, I forgot how tall & unwieldy the whole base unit is. I figured it out by using a plastic storage container with some plastic bottles and bags to displace the vinegar I had on hand, so the vinegar was much deeper with-in the container; I used 2 gallons of vinegar rather than the 2 + 4 gallons of water total volume. I soaked the skimmer base and came time to clean it, I realized there are many places you simply can't get to on that thing. Oh well. Dried the base and the broken off piece up, sanded edges w/ 220 grip paper, wiped off with Ever-Clear Alcohol (drank the rest...not really). The screw mechanism for the gate valve actually held the broken off fragment of the cylinder nicely in place w/o any tape or cords, etc. so I just did that to position everything during the gluing.
I used the Weld-On 40 per Jason Gregory, of Clear Fabrications, the builder of my aquarium, rather than the Weld-On 16 that some folks recommended to use. I like the 2-part formula which had some substance/body to work with; I mixed up 10cc of the A (big jar) and 1/2 cc of B (tiny brown glass jar) in a plastic yogurt cup; instructions said use 100:5cc = all of it, and THAT was sure over kill for the sliver I needed to glue back onto the skimmer! I applied glue to all of the involved edges with a poly-propylene bulb pipette and a little cardboard spatula, crude but effective (and a bit messy), put the piece in place and realized this Weld On 40 stuff really has quite the chemical odor, got rid of the extra quickly in a sealed bag. The lumpy-bumpy glue smoothed out and the pieces stayed put, so I left it to cure for the night.
Yesterday morning I found (to my delight) no movement of pieces, no odor or softness in the glue, so I re-assembled it all and put the skimmer back in service; no leaks of foam anymore, worked great! With the cleaning the skimmer appears to be working better, also, in spite of the fact you can't get at a lot of the inside surfaces

Before the cleanup & fix-it:

I love the tape job!

Before I turned it on:

No leaks at the repair, working very well with a full head of bubbles!

Working well, 12 hours in use, very productive!

I would highly recommend the Weld On 40 for gluing this kind of thing. If you need some, I have LOTS left over!

nice job! feels good to have things work out. i'm glad it worked for you. I use to fill my skimmer with vinegar every 6 months or so and let it soak over night, really worked wonders.

@Rob: I think I need to do vinegar soaks of the skimmer on a more regular basis. I don't think it has ever worked so well since I have owned the tank.

@mrturritos: some of those corals have been growing for over 4 years, most started out as 2" frags from Charlie and other generous folks. I took out a the giant - flow blocking pink bird's nest in the back on the L side of the tank which has increased the flow overall, as hoped, and am just working up the gumption to do the other 3 large colonies on the left side rock pile. Makes me cringe, but it all is growing very well, so it will be back!

@ anybodywhohasanopinion: I looked this thread over yesterday, an intriguing idea that has really morphed over a couple of years, the upflow algae scrubber:
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums...ate-green-hair-bubble-turf-slime-algae-64356/
I am seriously considering building my own version of this, anybody tried, succeeded/epic-failed?

@ anybodywhohasanopinion: I looked this thread over yesterday, an intriguing idea that has really morphed over a couple of years, the upflow algae scrubber:
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums...ate-green-hair-bubble-turf-slime-algae-64356/
I am seriously considering building my own version of this, anybody tried, succeeded/epic-failed?
SO! nobody had an opinion on this floating algae scrubber. I have been continuing my research, I have thought about trying some form of carbon dosing/Biopellets over the last 9 months and have FINALLY found somebody that seems to have some very specific answers about the nature of the biopellets, and the bacteria in use. The guy is a microbiologist that did his PhD (Piled higher and Deeper, for those who did not read that post) on nitrifying bacteria in saltwater; this guy seems to me, to be a better source of information than a salesman at a store (Dr. Timothy A. Hovanec: About Us ).

This is what I'm considering doing for my tank, a large pellet reactor with hungry bacteria:
https://store.drtimsaquatics.com/Large-NP-Active-Pearl-Reactor-kit_p_273.html
Any comments on this idea? @Charlie, @Devon, @Rob, @Kim, @anybody else???

Do you still have the algae problem you had back in March? We haven't seen a recent tank pic, so I have to assume yes. Are you also searching for the cause of the algae problem instead of looking for a fix, aka, where are the excess nutrients coming from in the first place? Just a thought Kevin :).

How about @Matt? :)

I'm a believer in Dr. Tim, in fact I bought Mr. Saltwatertank's ebook and videos about nuisance algae and he recommends refresh and wasteaway. And pellet reactor too. He interviews Dr. Tim, and I think he makes a lot of sense. I've already got the pellet reactor, now I've purchased refresh and wasteaway. I started the refresh today, starting the wasteaway tomorrow. I'm going to use the refresh once a week and the wasteaway 2 or 3 times, until I get my hair algae under control, then I'll continue once a week on that too.

I think it's a great idea, Devon. Let us know how it goes.

I do like the idea of the floating algae scrubber, too. I may try that, since I don't have a refugium. Next best thing, maybe. I'll probably buy one, though. I think you can find them on Ebay.

Matt

@ Charlie: I would say this is the same algae problem that cropped up 2 summers ago when I was very lax in doing my water changes (really! it was not my fault!); I think we all had some problems that summer as I recall :mmph: . So in answer to your question I am not looking for the source...we have found the enemy and it is US! It all started with bad husbandry and I've been dealing with it kinda sorta ever since. I was just looking at some pictures of the tank and I'd estimate the algae growth is about 1/3 of what it was at it's luxuriant best...I have been using GFO and it is slowly helping a bit over the last year. In going through the Mr SW guide to thermonuclear destruction of algae, I can see that I need to manage my inputs (of Phosphate/nitrates) = Foods (wash 'em), RODI water (need to replace stuff on the RODI unit), change my T5's out (older lights = skewed spectrum that the algae prefers), I need to do some cleanup (detritus, pluck algae where I can) which are the things I see that I need to do in my situation (off of the check list in the book). I may do a 3 days of darkness, too. I think I am managing the nutrients coming in as the problem is s...l...o...w...l...y diminishing, but I am just plain sick & tired of the algae, so this is why I've been playing around with the idea of carbon dosing or bio-pellets or algal turf scrubbers to do a more direct assault on the algae by getting rid of it's food source. That being said if you look at the biological aspects of this idea, the use of carbon dosing or biopellets to grow bacteria will grow a lot more biomass in a given period of time (no light needed) and the bacterial biomass is actually using up more nitrate & phosphate per unit weight and it doubles more rapidly than the algae will also. Sounds like a win-win-win. I am so excited! Better living through Microbiology once again (...I have a BS in Microbiology). Does that make any sense? Did you ever take the plunge and go for the biopellets? Thanks for any ideas!

@ Matt:Hi Matt! thanks for chiming in. I bought the Mr SW books this spring, then got very busy w/ work and summer etc. I just read the book - today - and looked at Dt. Tim's site. He seems to come from a point of information and some very specific info on nitrifying bacteria in salt water systems, and has subsequently developed products to meed the need. I have talked to people at various 'on-line' fish supply stores and just feel I am getting more of the rather vague kind of information, just not all that comfortable with it to this point. I've emailed Dr T about his stuff, will see what I get back from him before I make the jump. Where did you find the videos in the ebook or in the Mr. SW web site?

Back