Lost Creek 270

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I dipped some coral frags in interceptor overnight last night, rinsed them off & put them in my frag tank this morning....so I officially have my 2nd SW aquarium up & running (we shall see if the corals like it or not). There was a crab tucked up in the fold of a leather that had calved & I carved on a bit (for 3 frags)...AND it is true that crabs do not get along well with interceptor:exclaim:

I should have some pics & new numbers for the chemicals tonight :yawn:

I dipped some coral frags in interceptor overnight last night, rinsed them off & put them in my frag tank this morning....so I officially have my 2nd SW aquarium up & running (we shall see if the corals like it or not). There was a crab tucked up in the fold of a leather that had calved & I carved on a bit (for 3 frags)...AND it is true that crabs do not get along well with interceptor:exclaim:

I should have some pics & new numbers for the chemicals tonight :yawn:

they don't like interceptor

wow, one week apart, I don't know how you find the time Kevin

I got the TV in the basement working again finally...background music (hence the time needed)!
tonight: Temp = 77.2, pH = 8.14, Mg = 1200 ppm (it was 900 originally...I hate the way Salifert uses syringes with airbubbles in them...it is an abomination! I have been injecting things with syringes, starting on my 39th year of using them, NEVER NEVER EVER with a bubble in the syringe. Must be a German thing, right?) And the Alk was 11.4 dkH orighinally a few days ago, then 9.91 last night, then 9.52 today. Mg & Alk are heading in the right direction!

hey Kevin,
when my Mag got that low i always had calcium percipitate out and coat everything. did you have any of that? i hope not, it's a pain to clean later :):) how is your calcium doing? i bet it's going up as you ALK goes down. i had a couple similar experiences and my calcium hit 500. if you are adding calcium you might measure that and see if you need to suspend adding calcium for a while..... the whole chemical relationship is enough to drive me nuts!!!! don't really miss that.

do you have pics of your frag tank? is it on the same sump as your 270?

hey Kevin,
when my Mag got that low i always had calcium percipitate out and coat everything. did you have any of that? i hope not, it's a pain to clean later :):) how is your calcium doing? i bet it's going up as you ALK goes down. i had a couple similar experiences and my calcium hit 500. if you are adding calcium you might measure that and see if you need to suspend adding calcium for a while..... the whole chemical relationship is enough to drive me nuts!!!! don't really miss that.

do you have pics of your frag tank? is it on the same sump as your 270?

Hi Rob - yes I have been battling excessive Ca (chemical) deposits....just figured it was part of the game.

Calcium is up a bit, not skyrocketing like that! Since ya asked:

1.7.12 at 2:30 PM (lights on for 1 hour only); Temp = 78.3, pH = 7.93 SpGr = 1.027 (Salinity = 38),
Ca = 440
Alk = 9.072 dkH
Mg = 1200 ppm

I found this ref:
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f14/simple-water-chemistry-59569/

So it looks like my Alk & Ca just passed each other, nice!
post #1 & #4 interesting!!!

also I found:
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f25/reef-calculators-85/
very interesting (not all of the links work)

Frag Tank is on the same sump; we shall see how that pans out!
Picture (I hope!): (it worked...very exciting picture w/ just actinics on!)

Attachments

• 2012-01-07_15-25-30_844.jpg
    2012-01-07_15-25-30_844.jpg
    43.6 KB
Hi Rob - yes I have been battling excessive Ca (chemical) deposits....just figured it was part of the game.

Calcium is up a bit, not skyrocketing like that! Since ya asked:

1.7.12 at 2:30 PM (lights on for 1 hour only); Temp = 78.3, pH = 7.93 SpGr = 1.027 (Salinity = 38),
Ca = 440
Alk = 9.072 dkH
Mg = 1200 ppm

I found this ref:
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f14/simple-water-chemistry-59569/

So it looks like my Alk & Ca just passed each other, nice!
post #1 & #4 interesting!!!

also I found:
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f25/reef-calculators-85/
very interesting (not all of the links work)

Frag Tank is on the same sump; we shall see how that pans out!
Picture (I hope!): (it worked...very exciting picture w/ just actinics on!)

Nice pic :):)

What are you gonna let the alk drop to Kevin?

Thx for the advise! I think I am coming to the end of the 'useful life' of some of the equipment with this aquarium. 1 of 2 heaters died, the light over the refugium half died, the ATI skimmer has been giving me a hassle for 3 weeks, FITS for the last week, today is by far the worst day yet, I am trying to get the 2 pumps to stay on the fittings, run consistently (like they have for 3 years) after replacing the impellers...no joy. Anybody got an extra in-sump 300 - 500 gallon rated skimmer laying around?

the one I have is an external Kevin, and it needs a new recirc pump. And to be honest, I didn't think it was all it was cracked up to be. give Kevin a call @ Aquatic Dreams, or try the 2 local stores.

I've had my hands in he sump for over 3 hours between last night & today....I did some (more) twisting, tapping, switching various parts around & IT IS GOING RIGHT NOW (for the last 5 minutes!.....). BRS has a Bubble King Supermarin 200 Internal Protein Skimmer fort a cool $1.56K. no joke!

hey Kevin,

i like the way Mojo puts things, it's easy to understand.
if your skimmer is giving you problems i would look at the air intake. i bet it has calcium or salt creep built up on it. you probably need to take the whole thing apart and soak it in vinegar. the needle wheel can also get calcium built up on it and that will effect it's performance.
if all else fails you can always come up and buy my Reeflo skimmer. i took it completely apart and cleaned it all up. the acrylic has a few scuff marks but it should skim like crazy. it is external and requires a supply pump (i fed it from my overflow).

the frag tank looks good. got any snow down there yet?
rob

Still tracking parameters on a Friday night! Excitement! As of 1.13.12 at7:30PM:
Calcium is Stable, Alk dropped a bit more than I intended +/- opperator measurement error

Temp = 78.2 pH = 8.15r = 1.027 (Salinity = 38),
Ca = 440
Alk = 8.064 dhK (was 9.0296 on Wed) working on it...
Mg = 1275 ppm (was 1260 on Wed)
Po4 = 0.14....

Back