lost power.. tank down

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

So here is a question that I have. I know that a generator (which I sold mine during the summer because I bought it 3 years ago and only used it to check it), is the primary means of temporary power, However has anyone used a UPS to power a heater and a small powerhead pointed at the surface for oxygenation. I figure a small heater and a 11watt koralia should be good to go on those short power outages. Just wondering if anyone has implemented a shorter duration power supply into their system.

My power also went out yesterday. It came back on a about Noon today. I have a generator that i powered the tank with but i was told with smaller systems you shouldn't worry until about day four. I would rather be safe than sorry tho :) I hope nothing died!

-Luke

but i was told with smaller systems you shouldn't worry until about day four.

-Luke

By day 4 with no power, I would think even aptasias wouldn't make it.
I would think that smaller systems would be more damaged by loss of heat, and circulation faster than a larger one.
I know with my 240, it can handle 5-6 hours with no power as long as the house temps don't drop.
In fact I usually turn off my generator at around midnight and then turn it back on at 6 am with the power stays out overnight.

By day 4 with no power, I would think even aptasias wouldn't make it.
I would think that smaller systems would be more damaged by loss of heat, and circulation faster than a larger one.
I know with my 240, it can handle 5-6 hours with no power as long as the house temps don't drop.
In fact I usually turn off my generator at around midnight and then turn it back on at 6 am with the power stays out overnight.

Thanks Martin! I kind of noticed that my temp dropped 10 degrees and was a little scared. I don't have to much livestock yet but didn't want to risk anything dying. This is only the start to a harsh winter. :doubt:

- Luke

I am the exact oppisite I have almost no corals to loose but I had a generator to run the tank.. Its sucks spend a ton of money on live stock and have no backup power I know its tough to see spending 300.00 on a backup but looking into taking some of the coral fund and save for power back up not to mention most of us have kids to keep warm and food to stay cold its a win win. After 7 days with out heat or food to eat your tank becomes a pretty low priority.. I hear winter is gonna be bad get one while they are still available

Last edited:
I dont do anything when my power goes out. Its not necessary for me. My power was out 13 hrs, my temp dropped to 68 degrees. I never worry about it since everything just perks right back up afterwards. I have gone through a 3 day outage with no problems at all around a constant temp of 67-68. Just running a gas heater in my room and stirring the water every 4-6 hrs. Room temp is all i concentrate on. I just don't see a worry if you don't have sps. For me at least, stuff never dies right away, the tank has to stay at a low temp for weeks or suffer from horrible water quality before things get to the point of being "un revivable."

I wonder how many of us lost power tonight. There's probably a lot of people here that don't have a laptop with a wireless air card and can't get on.

There was a mighty wind that blew last night. I lost power around 9pm, within minutes I was out in the shed firing up the generator. We have two, and are about to go get a third tomorrow so we can power up the well so we wont be out of water.

Dad said he saw a 7k watt generator at home depot is about $1000
You get them for about half that price(and half the wattage), but it will power a reef tank and some basic appliances like TV or computer.

We lost power for a while as well. We also lost part of our ROOF!! :shock::shock: A pretty large section of shingles and tar paper blew off, hopefully the insurance company will cover it.

We lost ours at 9 until about 2:30 am . I have a cheap generator that
says 4000 but it is a pretty cheap (harbor frieght) one and it ran 3 return
pumps 2 tank heaters and a small heater in our house . I really want
one of the big dogs that will do most of the house and start as soon as
the power goes out.

I know its tough to see spending 300.00 on a backup but looking into taking some of the coral fund and save for power back up not to mention most of us have kids to keep warm and food to stay cold its a win win. After 7 days with out heat or food to eat your tank becomes a pretty low priority.. I hear winter is gonna be bad get one while they are still available
Andy, you are so right.....
Folks, look at the cost difference between getting a small one to run just your tank, and a larger that will allow you to maintain your heat, chilled food, etc. It may not be all that much. As for noise, when the power is out, the (otherwise) loud generator can be music to your ears, when you know it is providing comfort and safety for your family.

Our tanks and livestock have value... but my family is priceless!
D

Andy, you are so right.....
Folks, look at the cost difference between getting a small one to run just your tank, and a larger that will allow you to maintain your heat, chilled food, etc. It may not be all that much. As for noise, when the power is out, the (otherwise) loud generator can be music to your ears, when you know it is providing comfort and safety for your family.

Our tanks and livestock have value... but my family is priceless!
D

Amen danno, 6500W generator has made my life easier a few times. Runs what I need on a 400 gallon system, and I can still get the net :):), and a few lites

I run a 3500k here the the cold windy NE Ohio. It runs everything on my 125 plus most of my lighting, furnace and refrig. I do turn my 2x 250 MH off when on the generator as it extends the run time by quite a bit. I also wired in a transfer switch so it is plug and throw some breakers and the house and tank lights up. Electric was off for 5 days a couple of years ago do to a ice storm. Lost nothing, corals or food :)

So here is a question that I have. I know that a generator (which I sold mine during the summer because I bought it 3 years ago and only used it to check it), is the primary means of temporary power, However has anyone used a UPS to power a heater and a small powerhead pointed at the surface for oxygenation. I figure a small heater and a 11watt koralia should be good to go on those short power outages. Just wondering if anyone has implemented a shorter duration power supply into their system.

I have a large one that will run a Koralia for 3-4 hours after much chattering but a heater I think would kill it very quickly, after all A Korillia uses 3-7 watts, a heater 100-150 watts, so you are looking at 1 hour or less on a heater depending on how much it is on. I have a Korillia hooked up to mine for short outages when i am not home, I have a vent-less wall heater on a thermostat that keeps the room warm with or without electric

I don’t worry about the power being off too much when its at night. All the fish are resting and not using a ton of oxygen. Every thing looked fine for me in the morning and we were out nearly all night from about 8:30pm to around 7am. If the power had still been out by 8am I would have fired up the generator. During the day I think would be a different storey for me, a bunch of active fish sucking the oxygen out of the water would not be a good seen after a while.

Like sone one said earlier, how important is it after you have been with out power and water for 4 days or more. The tank will be taking the back burner by that point.

That’s about the time when Im sucking the gas out of my old 1970 pickup truck to keep the generator running because around here on the island when the power goes out there are no gas stations operations except the PC market in Coupeville (they have a generator)and they will have a line of cars around the block to get some gas and that’s only good till they run out because its only a small station.

That’s about the time when Im sucking the gas out of my old 1970 pickup truck to keep the generator running because around here on the island when the power goes out there are no gas stations operations except the PC market in Coupeville (they have a generator)and they will have a line of cars around the block to get some gas and that’s only good till they run out because its only a small station.

I converted mine to propane years ago. The same 250g tank runs my gas vent free fire place and the generator for a few weeks 24/7. My generator runs everything except for the stove, heat and dryer. I dont really loose any comfort but have to cook in the microwave.

Don

I converted mine to propane years ago. The same 250g tank runs my gas vent free fire place and the generator for a few weeks 24/7. My generator runs everything except for the stove, heat and dryer. I dont really loose any comfort but have to cook in the microwave.

Don

That’s a really good idea if you can do that, I wish I had that option. We are 100% electrical and no natural gas in this area. Fortunately most of the stuff in my home is very efficient and with a 5K generator we can run every thing in the house including the range and hot water tank. The exception is the forced air heating system that would require a 15K just for it self. Fortunately even in the winter when its 30 degrees out all we have to do is bake something and it warms the house real nice. These new manufactured home are super insulated and don’t loose a lot of heat. Granted I can’t have it all running at once but we just have to be extra careful when on back up power. I have a interlock on the breaker panel so It allows you to be able to use every thing in the house unlike the transfer switch most houses have that limit you to only those circuits. With the extended run tank on the generator it gives us about 12 hours run time between refueling so its not too bad. Fortunately most outages don’t last long but when they do a back up and plenty of fuel is a must because the weather is always nasty when the power goes out.

Don

My generator is propane as well. We have a 12kw that runs everything in the house including central air and stove. Love it!! We had the exact same generator in our old place as we have here at the new house. So nice to know you have some backup. :)

Back