Lost with sump/ Refug

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ketch22

(SUMP)?
iI have a 300 gal reef tank i would like to see as a reef tank
Running now with just fish & 40gal sump. Ready to install 80gal sump/W G-4skimmer(BUT)Herd that i need 10 X change over per hr that =3000+gph
herd that Macro & live rock in the sump helps with nitrates
also herd that macro needs a slow steady water flow to grow How is this acheaved in the sump with 3000+ gph flow rate

Welcome to RF!! :) As for the macro, it all depends on which type you are using. If you plan to use an algae like chaeto which seems to be one of the most popular choices, you want really good flow passing through it, from what I undertsand, so that you can get the ball of chaeto tumbling. That amount of flow should be perfect! :)

Some people go for the slower rate of 4-5x turnover (some even 3x) so that there is more contact time with the skimmer. But I run at 10x myself, I too want to set up a fuge and use chaeto. Keep researching.

i dont know what im runing.. but its not a water fall....

larger turnover will not not make your skimmer more effiecent.

Lr in the sump is your choice... i vote no. nothing in the sump but heater, skimmer and cheto..... anything thats gonna catch stuff and inhibute detritus from geting to the skimmer or back to the return pump will brake down faster and fuel algea....

Back