Lots of foam being produced in wet/dry trickle filter

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jmwooden

Hi,

I am getting my wet/dry trickle filter filled up with a bunch of white foam? Is this normal, something genrated by the bacteria?

The tank is 90 gal and fish only. I hooked up the wet/dry in sept and started noticing the foam last week.

thanks.

Sounds like your wet dry is causing alot of bubbles and its acting like a skimmer and producing skimmate in your wet dry. Sounds like you have alot of built up doc's in your tank. What all do you use for filtration?

Luke33 - In addition to the wet dry, I have 3 emperors with biowheels running on the tank. Another person also thought the wet/dry was functioning as as skimmer.

Remowilliams - No liquid foods. However, my nitrates are at 40ppm so I guess I need to do a water change. Last water change was 2 weeks ago.

Thanks for the help.

Sounds like you need to change out those emperer's for a nice protein skimmer. Maybe add some flow to the tank. The emperer's are ok for a FOWLR but if you are planning a reef tank they will cause probs with trates.

An algea filter will asborb a bit of the NH2, NH3s
remember there is more than one way to filter a tank.
I belive it is best to use a couple of they ways to filter a tank and not rely on just one...

Back