low Mag how to raise alot....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Skeptic9962

i recently started dosing kalk and everything seemed to love it for the first month or so and just about a week ago everything started looking not so great...so i just tested and didnt realize that kalk depleted your mag as much as it does...so my mag is way low....what effect does this have on everthing in the tank? just recently also alot of polyp extension has been lost...would this effect that?

curent lvls.

Ph 8.3
temp 78
calc 400
alk 9
mag 1050
nitrate - 10 or so
phos- 0
am. 0
nitrite 0

yeah i have a 32 gal. with 20gal sump so total volume is right around 50 probably less with rock and sand and equipment....but i do a 5-10gal water change every friday...i missed last friday but going to do a 10 gal change with IO salt tomorrow afternoon should i just add mag. buffer along with a couple water changes to fix it?

A few months back I was putting kalk in my H20 top off (to boost my low 350 Ca level), and then I started to have consistantly low mag levels... and it seemed like no matter how much mag I added it didn't seem to raise the levels at all. I spoke with my LFS, and they said they were experincing the same issie with kalk. I decided to quit using kalk for a week and went back to using using Seachem's reef builder for the Ca suppliment. Once I did that I was better able to control my Ca, Mg, and alk, and my Ca, Mg, and alk went back to more optimal levels. However, when you get tired of testing and dosing all the time look into a Ca reactor. After being in the hobby for a couple years now I wish I had added a Ca reactor in the begining! The difference in my tank is night and day. I hope this helps.

Seachem Reef Builder is for raising Alk and not for Calcium. Also Kalk will benefit and maintain Ca levels but will not really "boost" your level much at all. To do that you should use a Calcium Chloride product to really raise your levels. Also make note it takes alot of Mag supplement to raise your levels, and dont raise them more then a little over 100 per day.

oops... my bad

Seachem Reef Builder is for raising Alk and not for Calcium. Also Kalk will benefit and maintain Ca levels but will not really "boost" your level much at all. To do that you should use a Calcium Chloride product to really raise your levels. Also make note it takes alot of Mag supplement to raise your levels, and dont raise them more then a little over 100 per day.

Thanks for the correction Packer... It was a late reply last night and I meant to say Seachem Advantage Reef Builder.

Not a problem, just did not want anyone to read the post and dump Reef Builder in quantity to try to raise Ca.

Many years ago a LFS employee I asked seeking knowledge....(well that statement could be a whole new post!) explained and sold me a Buffer for Alk increase and a Builder for Ca increase. I kept wondering why my Ca was going down even with addition of the builder and my Alk skyrocketed even when I stopped adding the buffer.

Good thing I was into reading and learning about this hobby, and learned Reef Chemistry quickly, as the things he sold me were for Alk increase and not a Calcium Chloride product.

I do not know if it was his ignorance or just confusion, as so many products are marketed with fancy words that can be confusing for what are really only a few chemical compounds. I learned to read whats in it rather then the "magic description" it is sold under. I was thinking to sell "High Dollar SPS Reef Evaporation Restorer and Replenisher" for only 8.99 a liter. But then someone might discover it was really just bottled R/O DI water and my market would collapse!

Really????... I rest my case!

And Surf Buddy, did you really mean Seachem Advantage Calcium? Any Seachem labeled "builder" product I know of is for Alk supplementing. Again, so little chemical compounds and soooooooo many fancy ways to name it for the industry!

" should i just add mag. buffer along with a couple water changes to fix it?"

Read the link and plug it in for 50 gallons at 1050 mag and to get it to 1300 requires 13oz of epsom salt. wait 4 hours and test again!

Test a new batch of salt water before you add it to your tank to see where it is at !!

Your water changes may be just a bit small maybe closer to 10 gallons a week OR test after you get the magnesium where you want it to see how far it drops and how fast !!

I would try to buy the mag.chloride as well and read all about this on the website !!

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/a6/Recipe-1-Instructions-for-Bulk-Packaged-Materials/article_info.html

:)

Paul

If you are going to be using kalk you should consider monitoring magnesium over shorter periods of time, i.e., 1 / wk or 1 / 2 wk. All sup have their issues, to include Magnesium Sulfate, Magnesium Chloride, Calcium Chloride additions, all which raise the Sulfate an Chloride levels and require even more frequent WC.

What happens is when the kalk hits the water the immediate vicinity at the kalk water interface will precip some CaCO3 as Calcite. Mg++ fits real nice into the Calcite producing what we call High Magnesium Calcite, which is no all that soluble. There is also some Magnesium Hydroxide, Mg(OH)2, which is that cloud you see at times but where most of it goes right back into solution.

I might add, that as a sup, Kalk benefits by far out weigh the others as a Ca++ sup. It does not increase the Sulfate, it does not increase the Chloride, it raises pH, it raise Alk, it "eats" CO2 and there are no byproducts, to include excessive Sodium or excessive Bromide. Most advanced reefers use Kalk reactors or Calcium reactors but these are usually in tanks with high demands such as SPS tanks. It even adds at reducing phosphates to a small degree. You must also remember that Mg++ is used by organisms, so it is going to deplete naturally. If someone is having excessive problems with kalk over a short time, where Mg++ is depleting you are then doing something wrong.

In a properly run system with kalk, with kalk properly mixed and siphoned off the top, so you do not get the crap on the bottom, no animals or plants using it and no Mg++ sup, no WC, where there is a daily addition of Kalk, that is equal to 2 % of the of tank volume and the starting Mg++ 1300 ppm, the drop in one year will be ~150 ppm .

To add or you have a bad test kit. Mg++ CAN'T deplete anywhere near the same rate as Ca++.

Last edited:
Back