Low PH

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BCT182

My RODI machine cranks out at 8.1 (which ive been topping off with and doing water changes) The tank was at 7.5 and I added Ph buffer.... 7.6 ph buffer...... ph buffer....... finally 7.7, how can I get it up to 8.0-8.3 without dumping the entire seachem container in??? I should add, Im following directions. one a day.

I would drip some Kalkwasser.... doing this on a regular basis will help ph and calcium......

Have you considered dripping in a kalkwasser solution? Not only will it help add Ca to the tank, it also adds buffering capacity and the solution has a very high pH which helps raise the tank pH. Kalkwasser powder or common pickling lime can be used at about a 1 or 2 teaspoon per gallon of RO water mixture, then dripped in slowly over time (~1 drip per second).

In addition to the above benefits, kalkwasser also helps precipitate Phosphate out of the water, making it easily pulled out by your skimmer. The skimmer in general will work better when dosing kalk also.

-Jimbob

yeah... but I am starting to stray away from reef and head for FOWLR. I have a huge blasto colony, some hammer and frogspawn, and ALOT of coraline, but I dont think enough to use up all the calcium I'd be adding.

Jimbob said:
In addition to the above benefits, kalkwasser also helps precipitate Phosphate out of the water, making it easily pulled out by your skimmer. The skimmer in general will work better when dosing kalk also.

-Jimbob

Really? :confused:

With the kalk having such a high ph... It shouldn't take very much to raise ph.

Have you checked your CO2 levels?

Do a little digging "google" into PH problems and you will find that one primary cause to low PH is a lack of airation low CO2 levels.

BCT182 said:

Really, Really: Calfo addresses it in his "Book of Coral Propogation, Volume I" on page 184.

"Kalkwasser also imporves the performance protein skimmers by virtue of a dynamic known as saponification."

"... Calcium hydroxide will also assist in the precipitation of phosphates that get relegated to the..."

He later states that even some nitrates can be indirectly removed by the use of calcium hydroxide.

-Jimbob

Last edited:
twilliard said:
Have you checked your CO2 levels?

Do a little digging "google" into PH problems and you will find that one primary cause to low PH is a lack of airation low CO2 levels.

I believe you meant to say that high co2 levels will drop PH.....
Good airation will blow off excess co2....

Yes I would also be curious to what your levels are now.. Should of asked for params first....

I havent checked my MG ever, and havent checked the calcium in quite some time. I will

Also, a air stone helps raise Ph? Im going for dumb and simple here. Thats why Im going to FOWLR. I pulled out my calcium reactor and other equipment cause Im going to put my foucs twards fish.

BCT182 said:
Also, a air stone helps raise Ph? Im going for dumb and simple here. Thats why Im going to FOWLR. I pulled out my calcium reactor and other equipment cause Im going to put my foucs twards fish.

The stone and a lot of air did it for me

Do you run a skimmer.... If so this should blow off any excess co2.... I would check Ca and Mg levels.... Bring up Ca with kalk slowly and add MG.... This will fix PH if those are low also...

Back