Low Tech SPS tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Sue do you feed your SPS at all or just light/flow/clean water?

I am just starting a new feeding regime that includes a blended mixture of clams, oysters, mussles, and shrimp. It also includes some glutamine. Don did a form of this and Reefer Patt made a recipe and gave me some when he was down here last weekend visiting.

Then I do all of what you listed for some crazy new growth.

what happened to that one? it was very pretty .

do you think i could find this at home depot? i'm not to good at finding things :p.

Petco or petsmart. HD will have the tube but not the valve. They will have tiny valve used for a drip irrigation system that will work fine.

Don

I am just starting a new feeding regime that includes a blended mixture of clams, oysters, mussles, and shrimp. It also includes some glutamine. Don did a form of this and Reefer Patt made a recipe and gave me some when he was down here last weekend visiting.

Then I do all of what you listed for some crazy new growth.

Sue the oysters need to be completely liquified preferably fresh. Freezing effects the the proteins. Fiberous meats like fish and shrimp also have a negative effect on the protein absorbsion.

Don

Gaby, that tank crashed. It was due to a calcium reactor mess. The alk went off the chart and I could not dail it back in. Burned every coral up I had in there. Sad, sad, sad...

Don, I'm just using the mix Reefer Patt brought me. He made the mix and I have used it 1 time and have seen amazingly positive effects in just this short time.

Gaby, that tank crashed. It was due to a calcium reactor mess. The alk went off the chart and I could not dail it back in. Burned every coral up I had in there. Sad, sad, sad...

Don, I'm just using the mix Reefer Patt brought me. He made the mix and I have used it 1 time and have seen amazingly positive effects in just this short time.

Its not going to hurt but if you take out the fiberous meats the results will get even better.:)

Don

When I feed the recipe what little fiberous meats that are in the cube get eaten very quickly by the fish. They love it! I'm getting fantasic results with this blue coral method the Italians came up with. They are getting ready to release an article in ReefItalia which will be translated to english and put on the RC forum of their study and findings. What aminos work the best, dosages ect. I've been feeding once a week for a month now and will start feeding twice a week for the next 2 months. After which I'll post some before and after pics. I've got new growth everywhere. Started out very slowly to make sure to be able to keep nutrients, n03 and p04 under control. Both the
n03 and p04 will jump a little after each feeding but drops down to 0 very quickly. Haven't noticed the cheato growing any faster if at all due to the feedings. Feed at lights out. Dose with ReefPlus AA's about 2 hours before feeding. Feed 1 cube which is about 15ml +/-. Food is blended for approx. 15 min. and frozen immediately.

When I feed the recipe what little fiberous meats that are in the cube get eaten very quickly by the fish. They love it! I'm getting fantasic results with this blue coral method the Italians came up with. They are getting ready to release an article in ReefItalia which will be translated to english and put on the RC forum of their study and findings. What aminos work the best, dosages ect. I've been feeding once a week for a month now and will start feeding twice a week for the next 2 months. After which I'll post some before and after pics. I've got new growth everywhere. Started out very slowly to make sure to be able to keep nutrients, n03 and p04 under control. Both the
n03 and p04 will jump a little after each feeding but drops down to 0 very quickly. Haven't noticed the cheato growing any faster if at all due to the feedings. Feed at lights out. Dose with ReefPlus AA's about 2 hours before feeding. Feed 1 cube which is about 15ml +/-. Food is blended for approx. 15 min. and frozen immediately.

How about some photos. With some of the faster growing acros it should be easy to get 1.5 to 2" a month. The slow ones like millis 3/4 to 1 is pretty good.

Don

I will post before and after photos after 90 days. I doubt any of my corals are going to grow 2" in a month. I only have one stag, which grow like weeds anyway. I have 2 milles, 2 pocillipora and 2 stylophora. The rest are much slower growers such as austera, sarmentosa, A. soli, tenius, nana (new frag), valida, prostrada ect. And about 8 different monti. caps. I have about 50 acros/sps in a 70 gal. tank. All started as frags in the tank and first few went in Sept. 06.

Being I only feed 1-2 times a week I don't expect the coral to grow out at that fast of a rate.

I meant to say when I posted that, that my fish really did go after the particles that were visible to the eye.

Petco or petsmart. HD will have the tube but not the valve. They will have tiny valve used for a drip irrigation system that will work fine

awesome dood !! thanks :) .

ouch :( !! sorry to hear that.

I will post before and after photos after 90 days. I doubt any of my corals are going to grow 2" in a month. I only have one stag, which grow like weeds anyway. I have 2 milles, 2 pocillipora and 2 stylophora. The rest are much slower growers such as austera, sarmentosa, A. soli, tenius, nana (new frag), valida, prostrada ect. And about 8 different monti. caps. I have about 50 acros/sps in a 70 gal. tank. All started as frags in the tank and first few went in Sept. 06.

Being I only feed 1-2 times a week I don't expect the coral to grow out at that fast of a rate.

Give that A. nana some time to acclimate and it'll be the fastest growing thing in your tank. I got that from Charlie and it is simply the fastest growing sps I've ever had. It has been fragged 4 times now and you'd never know a single frag had ever been taken from it to begin with.

Thanks Gaby, it was very hard to sit and watch and not be able to do a single thing to help. Thankfully the fish were fine but I had picked those corals from all over the country. Most irreplaceable.

You can have a very low tech SPS tank.
I have a 75 and all i use to keep my water clean,is a nice size skimmer,carb and do a 5% water change every week.
For cal&alk i use B IONIC very simple to use.I am not a fan of Kalk,i dont use it on my tank.I have seen alot of peaple crash ther tank kalk and calcium reacters and from high tech gear.
For cooling and heating i use a simple Aqua logic controler.
for top of i use a simple kent flot valve.

About 50ml of each and it keeps my cal at 430 and my alk about 9 or 10.
I used to the test every day for a week to find out how much my tank is tacking of the two.thats how i got the dose of 50ml.
I have growen basketball size slimer and other larg SPS with just IONIC.
In the past i had a Cal reacter and i got sick of playing with it.

I will never mess with a calcium reactor again. I have gotten the best results in using additives. I do use kalk. but am very careful with it. I have used with great results Tropic Marin Bio-Calcium, which doses both calcium and alk. I ran out and had some other stuff here so am using it til I use it up and then will again get the TM.

I will never mess with a calcium reactor again. I have gotten the best results in using additives. I do use kalk. but am very careful with it. I have used with great results Tropic Marin Bio-Calcium, which doses both calcium and alk. I ran out and had some other stuff here so am using it til I use it up and then will again get the TM.

Why no calcium reactor?

Don

Back