mag pumps and heat on a 72gallon bow

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

londonloco

I just ordered a CLFI compact sump/protein skimmer combo from Lifereef... www.lifereef.com..... for my 72 gallon bow front reef. My concern is with the internal pumps i will be getting, namely a MagDrive 7 for the system pump, and MagDrive 9 for the protein skimmer. I am concerned with the heat and the noise that is put off by these pumps. I don't want to have to purchase a chiller. Does anyone have any experience with this Lifereef sump/ps or these pumps? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks....

I am sorry i do not have an answer for you but I as well would like to know the answer to that question. I have a 60 gallon tank and the same filter system from Lifereef.

I have not set mine up yet! But if I do get it setup within the next week I will let you know how it is going.

Sorry I could not give you an answer.

I don't find that they put off much heat. Depending on what your lighting system is, it is more likely to cause increased temp. The pumps may contribute, but the contribution of the pumps could likely be fixed with a single fan. That being said, temp of the tank depends on a ton of things, how enclosed is the hood, what lights and for how long, where is the tank in the house, what is the ambien temperature etc etc.

My Mag doesn't put out a whole lot of heat either. Some, but definitely not more than my lights.

i've got a 72 bow with a mag12 and a mag7 in the sump, plus a mag5 in line. my lighting is metal halide/pc combo. the pumps don't seem to put off any real heat into the water column. they don't make much noise either (compared to some other pumps that i've tried)

Back