Mag pumps plumbed externally?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mfinn

Surgeonfish
I am plumbing a new sump and I am thinking about using a Mag 9 or a 12 pump externally. Has anybody here used one of these pumps this way?
What kind of noise/vibration can I expect?
The Mag pumps are supposed to be internal or external. Do they really work externally with out overheating?

Just ordered a Mag 12 for my 65gal. I will use it externally, hard plummed with PVC. It should be here in a few days. I will let you know what I think.

finn said:
I am plumbing a new sump and I am thinking about using a Mag 9 or a 12 pump externally. Has anybody here used one of these pumps this way?
The Mag pumps are supposed to be internal or external. Do they really work externally with out overheating?

I use them externaly for Ca reactors and Kalk reactors, no vibration and not much noise at all. Don't go to hard putting a fitting into the suction or you can crack it :rolleyes:

Steve

Mag Drive pumps out of sumps

Hi : Finn i have seen this posted at Marine depot thought you might check out the link. HTH.... Jeff
Note: Mag-Drive pumps are not recommended for external use.

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_powerheads_pumps_danner_mag_drive_supreme.asp?CartId=

finn said:

Apprentice, thanks. On some online sites they list them as an external pump, and they seem to be very popular. I asked the same question on another board and one of the answers I got was that they are some what noisey and that salt creep does become a problem. So, people do seem to use the externally, not sure if I will.
My first idea was a Iwaki MD20 rlxt, but they are a bit pricey and don't have near the flow the mags do.

Finn, Mag pumps can be used external and internal. I've use them externally with reactor and skimmers for years and don't have problems with the pump. Iwaki are great (i use it too) but expensive. I guess it all depends on your preference and needs...

reeffan

It is going to be in the room next to my bedroom. It needs to be silent.
Many of the mag pump advocates claim they are very quiet and very powerful.
I don't think I'm sold on them yet.

On my experience, they're pretty quite but not powerful compare to iwaki's. I would also suggest Eheim pump, pretty spendy but very quite and reliable.

reeffan

Ok Now Copairing An Iwaki Pump To A Mag Drive Is Like Compairing Apples And Oranges. Yes You Can Use A Mag Drive Externailly And Itwill Work The Heat It Produces Will Shorten The Life Of The Pump But Only By 10 To 12 % Not Much More Than That. As Far As Pressure Nothing Works As Well As A External Pressure Pump. External Pumps Are Noisier And More Expensive And Cost More To Run But On Average They Run Cooler And Most You Can Cut The Flow In Half Before You Start Having Any Problems. Mag Drives Rios And Via Aquas Are Just Submergeable Power Heads Even The New Life Guards (heaven For Bid You Go That Route) Most You Can Use Internal Or External They Wont Last As Long As Externals And Some Have A Tendancy To Cavatate After Power Outeages Causing The Shafts Or Impeller To Break. If You Cannot Afford An External Pump Than Use The Mag Drive Just Make Sure The Flow Is Not Restricted Too Much This Causes The Pump To Heat Up.

Ok, so Pondmaster (Denning pumps) state from there website on the mag 12 (and all the rest)
"•1200 gph maximum flow with a 15' shut-off
• ceramic shaft
• 18' grounded power cord
• foam pre-filter included
• operates submerged or in-line
• three year limited warranty"

So yes they can operate inline.

Steve

pond master unlike mag drives are intended for out door use it is also possable that these are not as quiet as mag drives used for indoor aquarium use. if you could run one first or have a good return policy just in case. if the only difference is the 18' cord than i say go for it. we all have to bite the bullet some time and just take a chance

gobie said:
pond master unlike mag drives are intended for out door use it is also possable that these are not as quiet as mag drives used for indoor aquarium use. if you could run one first or have a good return policy just in case. if the only difference is the 18' cord than i say go for it. we all have to bite the bullet some time and just take a chance

they are the exact same pump except for the 4 screws that hold the cover on and the length of the cord. for what its worth I get the pond masters for the longer extension cord. My two mag 12's have been running submerged for 3 years and my mag7, mag 5, and mag 3 have been running in line for about the same amount of time, and they are all pond master. I just coated the screws with silicone.

Steve

well if you plan on using them externally than you dont really have to worry about the screws. if you wat to change them got to lowes or home depot and get some stainless steel screws.

When looking at these pumps I noticed that in all the adds the mag drive SUPREME does not say anything about "in-line" use, but the mag drive does. There seems to be a difference between these 2 pumps. The supreme has a different looking housing in silver and the mag looks more compact and is in black. When I ordered mine the listing showed the black one and said "in'line" - Hope this helps ?

divebud said:
When looking at these pumps I noticed that in all the adds the mag drive SUPREME does not say anything about "in-line" use, but the mag drive does. There seems to be a difference between these 2 pumps. The supreme has a different looking housing in silver and the mag looks more compact and is in black. When I ordered mine the listing showed the black one and said "in'line" - Hope this helps ?

I have both silver and black. they are both fine for inline.

Steve

divebud said:
When looking at these pumps I noticed that in all the adds the mag drive SUPREME does not say anything about "in-line" use, but the mag drive does. There seems to be a difference between these 2 pumps.
The Supreme is just a brand name same as the Mag-Drive! The only difference in the black & silver is the size of the pumps. Up to a mag 7 (I think) they are square & black, The 9.5 & up are rectangular & siliver/grey color! There all made by Danner Mfg some suppliers will call them Supreme Mag-Drive & others just call them Mag-drive.

mag 12 just arrived

I just installed my new mag 12 in-line. It really flows, but there is quite some vibration noise. I have it all sitting on foam, but there is still vibration. I'm also getting noise from tiny air bubbles. I have tried to backflow it and get all the air out with not much luck. Also see my post in the DIY section about the GURGLING. All togather I like the pump but I got A LOT of noises to deal with.

I think the important thing that has been left out is that many of us are using smaller mag-drive pumps externally, but nothing larger than a 12 (except divebud). I would guess any problems are going to be magnified with a larger pump.

mag 9.5 external for 1.25years w no prob. I think the prob some have had is w the volute cracking while attaching fittings. Just dont overtighten the fittings and use enough tape

Back