Maintaining Alk

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

fatjusto

Hey all,

Just wondering how i can maintain my alk better. I am using kalk for all my topup water and if i leave my tank for 4-5 days I get a significant drop in my alk. My ca is staying resonably constant. Will I have to employ my calcium reactor to do the job! Whats the best way of doing this? Should I run topup during the night then reactor during the day or just run them both all the time?

Cheers

Hey all,

Just wondering how i can maintain my alk better. I am using kalk for all my topup water and if i leave my tank for 4-5 days I get a significant drop in my alk. My ca is staying resonably constant. Will I have to employ my calcium reactor to do the job! Whats the best way of doing this? Should I run topup during the night then reactor during the day or just run them both all the time?

Cheers

I've heard alot of people use the constant kalk drip. I, like you, use the kalk in the top off water. Haven't had a problem keeping my alk up with this method. I actually had to back off on the amount of kalk to water ratio because my alk was getting too high. If you're having a hard time keeping the alk up I would make the kalk mixture stronger.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply,

Just dont really understand how I can make my kalk stronger. Im using a kalk strirrer which, as I understand, makes a saturated solution which drips into tank at the same rate as evaporation occurs. The only way I could boost it would be increase evaporation so I could add more saturated solution.

The only way I could boost it would be increase evaporation so I could add more saturated solution
Add vinegar to your kalk. It will increase the Alk and CA

Back