majano anemonies, one more time...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I have tons of these and have been fighting them for a while. I took them for aiptasia at first, but I'm leaning more and more towards majano (and they look exactly like what's in the picture you posted).

I guess joe's juice is the best approach, but I've never had much luck with it.

-Dylan

The only way I have been able to get them is with a double saddleback butterfly fish. He cleaned out my tank is about two weeks. Joe's juise doesn't work in my experience. It will appear to kill them, but they will re-emerge with more freinds. I've injected kalk, joes juice, lemon juice, I even considered muriatic acid. Nothing killed them in my tank. You can superglue them in a hole and hope they don't have another exit. You're call, but I would do a butterfly fish (ideally in another tank and just introduce the rock to rid it of majanos).

im totally with dang and reed on this, i've tried the joe's juice, but if you wanna ban the little bastards to hell than the racoon or dbl saddleback bflys are the only way to go, of coarse at the risk of your softies and clams, but most people i know who have really bad infestation say "i dont care just do it!!" and rightly so....:)

If the Joe juice doesn't work, and boiling them alive fails, and butterflys eat Zos, leathers and candy cane besides the coickroaches: not sure I like any cures. Might just have to have two tanks for awhile...

secure or covered all the softy,,try to keep the butterfly nose out of reach,,he will go for the MJA very quickly,,with in 3 days garantee it will be gone,,i put him in my tank 9pm5 mins later ,,,he start to eat,,, not nipping ,,i meant eating MJA none stop all day all night 24/7,,man this guy never stop eating .:),,he try for blasto and hydro,,,he didn't like it,,FYI

Anyone want to buy some "baby carpet anemones"?
Paul :D

Last edited:
Paul B said:
Anyone want to buy some "baby carpet anemones"?
Paul :D

Yours are the best looking mini-carpets ever seen:D Mine were mostly dull reds. Killed each and every one in under an hour with the dental hypo full of VERY hot water:eek: They explode into a cloud of anemone soup, wasted over 100 of em, can't find any more, snif;) Missing the little buggers...NOT!:lol: :lol:

Last edited:
I have a lot of fun injecting them with all sorts of stuff. I injected Clorox, vinegar, hydrocloric acid (they hate that) kalk, boiling water, boiling vinegar (they frown on that too) Lugols Iodine, formaldyhide, methelyline blue and copper.
They run when they see me.

I got rid of about fifty of them yesterday with a small wire brush. They hate that.
Paul

I had pretty good luck with the map gas torch :badgrin: , and I think the hermits enjoyed the tasty BB-Q I made for them:lol:

Joe's Juice and calcium hydroxide ( calk ) work really well for underwater applications. I even used purple-up on a few. ( didn't seem to phase the aptasia but the moj' didn't like it.) Most of the moj' I stuck with a needle let go of the rock and I just pulled them out of the tank, didn't even have to inject them. :shock:

Last edited:
So far it's been about three weeks since I wire brushed about 50 of them. I haven't seen any new ones so far. I just took a small wire brush for a dremmel and glue gunned it onto an acrylic tube and walah, no more anemones.
Paul

Need your advise, HELP! I had hoped that what I had seen were baby BTA but alas I need to irradicate the majano. What is the mix using kalk injection. Do I remove the rock to a bucket and hope the majano fall away then return the rocks? I had been tempted to take tweezers to them, any suggestions gang!

Tweezers will not help. No reason to pull the rock, just squirt a bit of boiling water into their mouth with a hypo. They disintegrate into a cloud. If too close to another good coral, do the same with Joes or kalk paste. I have killed many hundreds this way.

Irradication complete, the worst part was re-building the rock-work. The Marjano's did expell their algea which shriveled them into a white nodual, so just to be safe I gently tweezed off the carcasses since the fish weren't interested in a the snacks. Boiling water in an enameled cast iron pot stays at temperature for beyond an hour very nicely. Also affixing a glass beaked medicine dropper to a turkey baster provides ample, precise, multi-searings of anemonies.

Back