Majano anenome and kalk treatment

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mss

My parents tank (29g Biocube) has been taken over by majano anenome. It started out as 1 or 2, and we thought it was some cool looking coral they got with their rock. Well, now there is about 40 of them, just in a matter of weeks.
I remember reading somewhere about using kalk to treat pest anenome, and I read in some old post that people recommend it for majano, but I am unsure of the procedure.
I have looked at pictures of majano and it is definately that.
Since there are so many of them, is there a limit on how many I can treat in one day? Do I need to shut off the pumps? There are some of them growing actually on some corals...do I just go ahead and treat those pieces or frag that section off as more then likely it will die as a result of the tx (large brown button polyps has several on them). Should I do a water change afterwards. I mix the kalk in a paste like material and spackle it on, right??

Sorry for so many questions. I dont like kalk and try not to use it that often. Just recently had to start dosing my tank with kalk, and get uncomfortable when I have to dose anything, esp when it is not my tank!! (my mother is unable to work in tank due to health problems...so I also care for her tank)

Thanks in advance for any help!!

I've had good results by mixing Kalk paste and injecting them with it. I use Pickling Lime mixed with RO water to a toothpaste consistency.

What is it about Kalk that you're uncomfortable with? Kalk is a great and safe way to dose your tank. Once your Alk and Ca are balanced, dripping kalk is a good way to keep it balanced. Not really a good way to get it balanced, but great for keeping it in balance.

probably just lack of experience. I am afraid I guess of having it drip too fast and raising PH too much. But I am dripping kalk right now and everything is fine. For some reason whenever I do anything with my tank, I hear the one thing that can go wrong and that is what sticks in my head. Somebody told me if you drip it too fast you can shoot the pH up and that is all I remembered!
Thanks, for the response.
So I could treat all the majanos at once??

As long as you're injecting a small amount into them, yes. Kalk does need to be dripped slowly. I usually just tie a knot in my tubing and tighten or loosen it to control drip. I aim for a 1-3 drips per second. Less of a chance of spiking pH if dripped at night. It's really not much of a risk of spiking pH unless it was being poured in or a steady stream instead of a drip.

they have very limited stock right now...I am trying to think. Fish wise she has a lawnmower gobie, a sandsifter, a bangai cardinal and a clown. Corals is the button polyps, some candy canes, and a few zoos. I am sure she has more and I am just forgeting them at this moment.
They are going to be switching to a 75g tank in a week or two...whenever the lFS can come and take my old tank down and install it there. I just really want to make sure and get this problem nipped in the bud before they add the other 60 pounds of rock that I have that I am giving them.
One thing I can tell you, which I am sure is helping the growth of these, is my mom overfeeds massively. I always joked with her that she feeds more to her 28g in a day than I do in several days to my 75 and 55g combined. But she loves that tank and will not change, so we just do more freq water changes.....

Water changes will do no good. If you leave one then it can become 20 fast and then so on. I cant say how to sure , only cure before swithing over.

You have a small volume of water, so I would be careful or do a water change after you are done if you don't have a pH meter, but normally pH is not something to worry about doing this. Mine sometimes rises from 8.1 to 8.2, but never more (I have a 120)

The common procedure is to fill a syringe with a needle with as thick of kalkwasser paste as will fit through the needle, stab the side of the anemone, and inject it.

What I use and have seen other people use is you take the needle off the syringe, fill the syringe with thicker paste, and cover the tentacles with as much paste as you can. This is a lot faster and easier, and I think it works almost as well.

Either way, some of the anemones will be dead, and the others will be hurt. Wait a week (or less) and repeat the process. Majano are harder to kill than aiptasia, but they spread a lot slower.

Just dripping kalk slowly is a great way to maintain pH, raise calcium and alkalinity, but it won't do anything for pest anemones.

thanks for the advice. I actually killed a glass anemone on one of my rocks that popped up on in my 135 the other day using this method so I am a little more comfortable
It was pretty amazing to see how fast all the sudden her majano took off. It did not spread for a long time, that is why we did not think much about it. Then all the sudden, just recently they multiplied like rats!!!

How can i raise my ph? it is really low right now... 7.4-ish... it has been that way for a couple of weeks. i've done 18 gal water changes (it is a 130.) i drip/spray (to kill pest nems) 1 gal of kalk a day. i was doing 1 tsp of Mrs. wages, but now i'm doing about 2-2.5 tsp any advise would be nice...

Back