Mandarian Roomates

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jiddy

I know its a broad question, but, since reading about the special diets "most" mandarians have, what other common kept fish will eat the same things and shouldnt be housed with a mandarin, i was plannin on keepin one in my 90g after a year of growth

IMO, unless you have a very large system, I wouldn't keep any strict pod eater with a mandarin. Of course there are exceptions.....like if the mandarin eats prepared foods. In my tank I chose a 6-line wrasse over a mandarin, but knew I could only have one or the other (the flow in my tank was also a consideration when making my choice).

Do you have ideas about other fish you want to keep? Maybe you could start there, and check on the natural diets of the other fish and see if they will work together.

The only fish i really have in mind right now are 2 Percs, dont really like tangs, and since i live in S.Dakota, those are the only 3 fish they really sale, lol, i guess i could get a LionFish, lol

Jiddy - don't forget about some of the sponsors carry. I've ordered from Vividaquariums with nice results. I'm glad you said you are going to let your tank mature for a year before introducing the mandarin. I think that is a wise idea - you really want to have an established pod population upon introduction.

I don't think that there's a book that'll give you a straightforward answer that you are looking for. I would generally add fish that are planktivores that don't compete with the mandarin for food. Clownfish are good at this. Hawkfish would be good, as well as Genicanthus angels. I would avoid most wrasses. You could also post a list of fish that you may be interested in to get people's experiences.

Back