mangroves and a fuge mud question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

marlinmero

Marlin
i have a couple mangroves that are growing roots but are shrinking in diameter and turning brown on top. i took a piece of styrafoam and poked em thru so they are floating and i have them in my sump after the micro algaes. could the algae be taking up all the nutrients and starving the mangroves? and why would they be growing roots but dieing up top?

part 2.
i recently set up a large cpr hob fuge. as of now i have chaeto in it and sum rubble rock. thats all no crabs no nothing. but i want to take a small container and feel it with mud and try putting my mangroves in it to see if that will help. do you think it will? and because i only want to do a little bit i dont need the big things of mud everyone sales. so can i just buy a booster sized thing of mud?

they have never had leaves on them i bought em as little torpedoes.
for my sump i just have two 6500k compact twisty 100watt florecent bulbs in thoes metal clip on light sockets you get from like lowes. they grow my chaeto and razor algae like crazy thoe.
but in the fuge where i plan on moving the mangroves i have a 12inch? compact florecent daylight 7100k.

i'd say not enough light and/or not enough nutrients to go around. i really hope you bought the mangroves because you like them, NOT for nutrient export (they are terrible for that). with the alage growing like crazy i would lean more tward the nutrient issue.

yeah i got em as decorations. just kinda looks cool having a little tree growing up out of your sump. ill guess ill try moving them to the fuge then. cause in there theres no real competition for nutrients. they will be first in line for food.
so they dont have to be placed in mud to grow?

mangroves use alot of magnesium. the roots filter out the salt in the water and in turn give fresh water to the leaves. what's your magnesium level?

I have mangroves in my refugium. They did the same thing. Grew roots but the leaves turned brown. I know that they demand a high temperature 78-82My temperature is 74-76 steady so probably a little cold for them. My Chaeto is doing fine and in the same refuge. Im going to give the mangroves more time. They are great nitrate eating machines. Good for tanks with high fish counts. Did you get them from Florida?

i was reading your reply i kept hopeing to see your cure. lol my temp stay between 80-82. i got the 4 little ones from reefcleaner.org and the big one from a guy on here

no answer....LOL I will email the guy from reef cleaners (that's where I got them) and ask him. I thought the temperature was my problem but you answered that question for me. I have 6500k on the fuge.

mangrove growing problem

I got an email back from reef cleaners:

this is his response:

If it grew leaves under that light it is working, what it sounds like is the top is drying. This can be from low magnesium, (which helps to bring the water to the top), or lack of misting the top with water which replicates rain and removes salt.

my magnesium is 1320 but I have not done any misting and the leaves definitely have salt encrusted tops.

Back