Marine Aquarium Expo 2011

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Have you checked all the local retailers? Barrier reef, red sea, indoor reef, and aquarium paradise are the 4 local ones I know of right off the bat.

Looking into possible venues.
Evidently inner Seattle is far too expensive.
Looking for 20,000 sq ft. min. within half hour drive from SeaTac, ideally

Did you look into the link I provided for the Puyallup Fairgrounds? Its within half an hour of seatac, easily. The expo hall at the fairgrounds is commonly used for the local exotic pet/reptile expo. If you contact Geovanni i'm sure he'd give you the info you might need, like rates, size of hall etc. He's a really nice guy.

http://www.beanfarm.com/nwcbe/

Last edited:
Here is a link to info on the Expo Hall, so you can skip contacting geovanni. You can contact the fairgrounds directly.

http://www.thefair.com/facilities/overview/expo-hall.php

There is also the Pavilion building
http://www.thefair.com/facilities/overview/pavilion.php

Contact info can be found on the downloadable PDF brochures
http://www.thefair.com/_assets/managed/files/927BE5359D9ED93979DB8332F94980C6_ExpoHall_FLIER.pdf

Thank you for the information,
actually, we were initially given false information by an individual.
Inner Seattle is not too expensive and we have a venue pending.
If we can get at least a half dozen stores committed for the intial launch, we are good as gold.

The venue is initially "booked up" already however they think they may be able to free up the weekend of July 22 for us (maybe)
If this happens, we need to either jump at it and put in a deposit or flush it down the toilet. We need retail stores to pony up to the bar and order a Maxopolitan.....like NOW : )
Do they not know the profit potential of selling over a two day MAX show? This should be a no-brainer for the Mom-and-Pop stores

Last edited:
Has anyone been in contact with any of the LFS? It seems that no one from MAX has contacted the LFS for support. Here is a list that I've compiled of a dozen stores including telephone numbers. Now all someone needs to do is get in contact with these store owners and/or managers and explain the MAX to them and see if they may be interetsed in helping sponsor the MAX (NW).

Cheers,
Alex

Barrier Reef Aquariums (425) 277-7670
Saltwater City (425) 644-7050
Aquatic Dreams (208) 777-0800
A Red Sea Aquarium (206) 417-ARSA
Denny's Pet World (425) 821-3800
City Coral (425) 466-2246
Blue Sierra (425) 392-5360
GreenSkimmer.com (206) 852-8926
Ocean in a Box (360) 977-7864
Indoor Reef (253) 752-4559
Reef Mystique (425) 335-3247
The Shark Reef (360) 662-1313
The WildSide Tropical Fish & Exotic Pets (253) 538-9453

Aquarium Paradise (253) 584- 3474

I can try to stop in at Indoor Reef and talk to Paul about this, as it is literally walking distance from my house.

Has anyone been in contact with any of the LFS? It seems that no one from MAX has contacted the LFS for support. Here is a list that I've compiled of a dozen stores including telephone numbers. Now all someone needs to do is get in contact with these store owners and/or managers and explain the MAX to them and see if they may be interetsed in helping sponsor the MAX (NW).

Cheers,
Alex

Thanks Alex,
actually we did send out a short e-mail to nearly everyone on this list (hard to include any details at this stage) and only two have responded thus far: Blue Sierra and The Wildside both responded with a "maybe". Followup visits to these store owners by club members would be extremely helpful.

I don't think its Max's job to go out looking for lfs participation. Its up to the lfs and or a club to take on a Max and make it their own.

True, But I think that we have to many people trying to hard to make this happen and no real one group has stepped up to say they will do everything necessary to bring MAX to the NW.

If it is really up to a local club to make this happen then why would we need MAX? MAX is the main sponsor and production company (Sunset Promotional Services, Inc.) of MAX and I would like top see some help from them in getting the LFS support. Because I know if I go into any one of thses LFS and ask them for their support and a check for XXX $$$ they'd probably laugh and show me the door.

Thanks Alex,
actually we did send out a short e-mail to nearly everyone on this list (hard to include any details at this stage) and only two have responded thus far: Blue Sierra and The Wildside both responded with a "maybe". Followup visits to these store owners by club members would be extremely helpful.

Glad to hear. I think from a business standpoint it will be hard for these LFS to give a definate YES unless they know the location, dates and costs. Personally form a business standpoint, this early in the game I'd say Maybe too.

Just my opinion and 2¢

Glad to hear. I think from a business standpoint it will be hard for these LFS to give a definate YES unless they know the location, dates and costs. Personally form a business standpoint, this early in the game I'd say Maybe too.

Just my opinion and 2¢

You hit the nail on the head. Until we have more definitive information to present they are unlikely to commit, so we are effectively caught in a catch-22 situation. This may take a "Leap-of-Faith" on our end to launch this thing correctly. The workings are already in motion....I'm just waiting to hear back from a key person from one such venue.

Alright, so here is my question.

Will running something like this require a group from here? Like will this need 5-10 people from this area to get together and actually make this happen?

You hit the nail on the head. Until we have more definitive information to present they are unlikely to commit, so we are effectively caught in a catch-22 situation. This may take a "Leap-of-Faith" on our end to launch this thing correctly. The workings are already in motion....I'm just waiting to hear back from a key person from one such venue.

THx. I should've also mentioned the economy has some to do with it too. Always will these days.

Alright, so here is my question.

Will running something like this require a group from here? Like will this need 5-10 people from this area to get together and actually make this happen?

We put out a request for volunteers to help staff the actual event. These will be very rudimentary duties not requiring any special skill or responsibility.
(IE: Door persons, Ticket takers, Vendor assistants, raffle setup, decorators, etc....this just off the top of my head) we would/will not delegate anything beyond the scope of reasonable volunteer work.

On the other hand, if anyone has a specialized skill/service that they would like to donate for the kids (face-painting, baloon artist, magician, etc.) we would certainly appreciate speaking with you. The MAX event caters to a much broader audience than your typical MACNA or similar event. Our goals are a bit "different" than most, as shall soon become readily apparent.

Honestly I don't think it could happen here. Hate to be a downer but there aren't more than 3 or 4 decent shops here. So why would MAX move here?

Honestly I don't think it could happen here. Hate to be a downer but there aren't more than 3 or 4 decent shops here. So why would MAX move here?

I don't think that MAX is moving here. They're offering to have Seattle host a Marine Aquarium Expo in 2011.

As for the LFS. They're all decent shops. Just some are better than others. Just like any business. You don't expect Ferarri type of service at the Kia dealer do you? :0) (joke)

Cheers,
Alex

Expand your scope fellas this isnt max for washington state and washington state only you have to think about eastern washington, oregon, idaho, montana, and parts of canada as well. Yeah you guys are right in saying there are only a few saltwater shops in our local area but the surrounding areas have stores too.

Back