Marine Aquarium Expo 2011

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I would love the opportunity to have the MAX up here in WA, less money I have to spend on travel and such is more money that I can spend on Corals and supplies. For the MAX my schedule is cleared! I am sure that I am not the only hobbiest up here that feels this way.

I wouldn't doubt if more than 25% would show. I bet around 75% of the Spokane crew would be there. Seamax sounds pretty good.

Not implying any promises at this point, but.....

....in the spirit of fun, let the NAME GAME begin!

- SeaMax?

- PacMax?

- WaMax?

- GrungeMax?

:lol:

How about MaxNW? Would love to see this happen....... I will continue to follow along.

Im for this. I live in yakima and i be there would be at least 50-75 people that would love to go to this event. Just my family alone would be 7 that would be a for sure thing. Im sure i could ge a whole lot more to attened.

PNW is the great place to have,,,MACNA,,,let do it:),,,cheer

to do a MACNA your club would first need to join "MASNA", put together a formal proposal (complete business plan, budget, contractual arrangements, etc), and then petition for the rights to host a future MACNA.

http://www.masna.org/default.aspx

We have absolutely no affiliation with MASNA or this process

Is there any new news from vendors about advantages/disadvantages in coming to the NW?

I ask because if we know where their concerns are at, we can do some leg work in our local areas/clubs and get them the answers to help in their decision making process!
And then report/post them here.

Please let me know if this is needed.
I am willing to help as much as I can to make this happen!

Last edited:
Is there any new news from vendors about advantages/disadvantages in coming to the NW?

I ask because if we know where their concerns are at, we can do some leg work in our local areas/clubs and get them the answers to help in their decision making process!
And then report/post them here.

Please let me know if this is needed.
I am willing to help as much as I can to make this happen!

Thus far, the only complaints (er, reservations would be the more appropriate term) are the a) relatively light demographics and b) small window of opportunity weather-wise. I guess July through September are the only trust-worthy months for fair weather....not a problem says I, as these are the months people are most likely to travel anyway.

As far as demographic, I havn't had the chance to dig into the links provided earlier in this thread, but I shall....soon. I don't think comparing to Des Moines, Iowa is going to impress anyone, so I don't think I want to use that argument. MACNA has already been in most large cities over it's 20 or so year life so I'm sure the choice of Iowa was made to give our Central states a chance for once. There is little/no coorelation between MAX and MACNA so I can't really use that angle in persuading vendors to come to Washington.
On the contrary, I'd like to use its strengths instead.

Here are a few things that would help: (The reality is not lost on us that most if this work is OUR burden/responsibility....I am only throwing out a few things for discussion)

1) Local Venue:
Need to pick proposed location, date, etc. for obvious reasons. Location would need to be a professional Exhibit hall (hotel), Convention Center, or Expo Center. 25,000 sq. ft. minimum building is needed.

2) Local Clubs:
A listing and contact information of all local clubs who would/can participate in a Seattle MAX. We would need to know who could volunteer to help staff the show, Help with marketing/promotions, etc. Does anyone have a specialty skill they could provide (audio/visuals would be a HUGE help)

3) Local Attendees:
A list or database of hobbyists who proclaim they would definitely attend a Seattle MAX (names and e-mails only for privacy concerns)
If we can get over 1,000 then that would help tremendously.

4) Local Infrastructure:
Information on Travel, Airport, Rental car, Mass Transit, Hotels, etc. available in the area.

5) Local Attractions:
pasted below is a simple attractions page I created to use in our portfolio for the Southern California/Greater LA area. If we can put together something similar for the Seattle/Puget Sound area, that would help show that the Seattle area is a good destination city on its own merits, let alone having the MAX event there too.

SoCalAttractions3.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder if his has been brought up in the PSAS yet. Or maybe the PNWMAS...

Seattle has tons of attractions...
The EMP/Science Fiction Museum,
The Seattle Center which depending on time of year has various festivals and stuff going on, esp in the summer,
The Space Needle which has an AMAZING restaurant,
The Pike Place Market which is a huge tourist spot,
The Seattle Aquarium,
The Woodland Park Zoo,
The Seattle Art Museum

Im sure there's more people could add, these are just the major ones off the top of my head.

The Seattle Center which depending on time of year has various festivals and stuff going on, esp in the summer,
The Seattle Aquarium,
The Woodland Park Zoo,
The Seattle Art Museum

Im sure there's more people could add, these are just the major ones off the top of my head.

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! Hot Dammn, you even provided hot links.....You definitely got game, Brie, thanks

(Though Mike is still in the lead thus far in the tenacity category) :D

The Seattle Aquarium,
The Woodland Park Zoo,
The Seattle Art Museum

oh it has ;) I've been watching this thread and talking via pm since the begining.:D

Wow, sounds like fun! You can count myself and my "other half" in.
We'd be willing to volunteer to help out :)

And I don't know how to do the cool hyperlink thing that Brie did, and I don't know whether it'd be held in Seattle, or a bit farther south, but a little farther south in Tacoma there's the Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium http://www.pdza.org/ and the Glass Museum http://www.museumofglass.org/ as well as other museums and whatnot. And don't forget Wild Waves http://www.wildwaves.com/

:) :)

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! Hot Dammn, you even provided hot links.....You definitely got game, Brie, thanks

(Though Mike is still in the lead thus far in the tenacity category) :D

lol I was about to leave for work which is why I didn't get more in depth.. Had a time constraint in that reply.

I personally REALLY want a MAX to happen here, I miss going to shows. Was really super big into the herp hobby and attended manymanymanymany of the Northwest Captive Breeder Expos and the Unique Animal Expo down in Hillsboro Oregon, either helping out friends who were vendors or just going on my own. Expos are fun and a great resource, so we definately need something like that here for the marine hobby. I REALLY hope it happens.

Point Defiance Zoo (has 2 new baby tiger cubs)...

I am all in for SeaMAX... and I would be there with the wife and twins for sure...

Dont forget NW Trek and the Olympic Game farm

Yeah I was gunna put that in my list too, but its HELLA far from seattle main area... Not sure if they could consider it a tourist draw to people visiting seattle. Its over an hour away, and a little over 50 miles. Its def worth going to though for the people willing to drive. I love NW Trek. Was sooooo sad when the bull moose got killed in that windstorm a few years ago. :( I luffed him. The Game Farm is awesome too, but thats like a 2 hour drive.

Brie, he had things and hr and a half away in HIS list so whatever!

Btw, its taken me 2 hrs to move 5 miles before in cali. At least seattle doesnt have as bad of traffic.

Back