MarineDreamer's Marine Dream

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MarineDreamer

Est. April 2nd, 2005
Yes! Got to talking to my wife last night and she has agreed to let me play with the big boys. (Pause a moment while I dance a jig… O.K.) If you have been following my other thread with my 55 gallon tank, you’ll notice that in July I bought a house. The downstairs has been designated the Home Theater/Office Space/Fish Room. The room is roughly rectangular measuring 23’x 10’. Where I plan on placing my tank is a slight alcove giving me another 18” of depth to play with.

The first picture is looking east. The window will be removed, the wall painted flat black and the 50” DLP TV will be in a floor-to-ceiling, left-to-right wall unit housing all the A.V. equipment, DVDs, books, ETC. The side walls will also be painted a flat black and covered with red velvet fabric just like at the theaters!

The second picture was taken from the east side of the room looking west. The work station on the left side of the picture will remain, and on the right is where the new tank will go. The windows look out on to the front yard. And yes, I’ve seen the neighbors walking by stopping to take a closer look when the windows are open.

The next three pictures are of the space that the tank is going to occupy. The left half of the wall opens up into dead space under the stairs. Keep going through the wall and you end up in the garage. There are some interesting possibilities there for plumbing, sump space, ETC when the time comes. The right side wall goes into a closet that will house the computer/router.

The floor will be some sort of laminate, but I was thinking that I would build the stand right onto the sub-floor.

The Dream is a 96”Lx30”Dx24”H tank, by which if I did my math right will be about 300 gallons.

Have fun on your journey! I am putting in a DIY 54 by 36 by 30 island tank in my living room. I started in April. Take your time and do it right!

whatsthe fire extinguisher for? teh fan isnt enough to cool down the halides or osmehting?=) anwyays just wanted to wish u a good luck on the new tank.. 300 is goign to be hugeeeee! (and a lot of work:))

whatsthe fire extinguisher for? teh fan isnt enough to cool down the halides or osmehting?=) anwyays just wanted to wish u a good luck on the new tank.. 300 is goign to be hugeeeee! (and a lot of work:))

:rolleyes: The first time that I smelled smoke coming out from behind my tank and the scorch marks on the wall above the outlet convinced me that A) I shouldn't take salt creep so causally, B) Fire Extinguisher is a wonderful thing to have. :D

As for huge, naw; not yet. The HUGE tank will be about 3000 liters or so. Big enough that you would have to get the regulator out to clean the glass! :eek:

Last edited:
So I wasn't able to attend Big_T's moving sale, but I manged to grab a NEW CHILLER! It's PCI 1/2hp and it looks new to me!

Thanks Tom!:D

Last edited:
ahhhh.... Lucky!

Sweet! One question... why haven't you told your brother about this yet??? I mean after all, I am just family, right?:confused: Make sure to leave some stuff for me to do when I get home!:D

Congradulations!

I used the thread on your 55 as inspiration for my own 55 so I am definitely tagging onto this one to see if I can learn as much as I did from you before.

Tim

And then the completed tank stand. This is Stand 1.2. Someone said, 'Hey, don't you want an outside 'coast-to-coast?'' :eek: So 1.2 is wider but still sits at 43" tall.

Looks great Trevor! Your tank design is almost exactly how my 38gal was. I added some pics below to show you, but I was very pleased with the design as I got great surface skimming, the overflow didn't take up any space in the tank, and never heard my overflow drain. Good luck with yours:)

I also managed to get some hardware for the set-up. First is a Protein Skimer, which will sit in the sump, which a 110 gallon tank. It also makes a great play-pen!

Looks great Trevor! Your tank design is almost exactly how my 38gal was. I added some pics below to show you, but I was very pleased with the design as I got great surface skimming, the overflow didn't take up any space in the tank, and never heard my overflow drain. Good luck with yours:)

Thanks Krish. One of the lessons that I learnt from the 55 was that these durn reef tanks are LOUD! So I'm hoping to make everything whisper quiet. So hearing about your experience gives confidence to keep pushing forward.

Which brings me to one of my dilemmas; I'm sitting on an AmpMaster 3000. I’m going to put a refugium in to the sump. Well, I just don't need that kind of flow going through the refuge. I'm going to be using four Vortech for flow in the tank and I also have two spare PanWorlds at my disposal. What to do, what to do...

LOL! I had over 100x turnover rate in that tank above...I love flow:D Atleast you have tons of options.The only downfall is like you said...Making a decision on what to do. I think we all beat up ourselves with the same thing. Good luck on whatever you decide:)

I also have already picked up some livestock for the 240...:rolleyes: Does anyone else have this problem? Stocking the tank before the tank is up and running. :p

Back