Markee's 120g Reef Tank(:

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Markee

Hi everyone! My names Markee. I just bought a fully running 120 gallon tank and wanted to show it off. So far the move has been pretty good but we did lose a fish, RIP little flame angel :( Other than that it's been great! I've had the tank for 2 days but it has been running for 5 years! There's probably 100lbs of liverock, a blue tang, a maroon clown with her long tentacle anemone, many different corals, and of course, a bunch of hermits and snails. If you have any suggestions/tips they are greatly appreciated!
<O:p></O:p>
P.S.- if you live in Spokane and have frags for sale, I would love to come by and check them out sometime! My tank needs more color:)
Me moving rock.

IMG_0044.jpg

Front left of tank.

1.frontleft.jpg

Front right.

1.frontright.jpg

Left side.

1.left.jpg

Right side.

1.right.jpg

Last edited:
Markee,

I know you are a ways away, but if you find yourself near Bothell, I have a very large RBTA for you. :)

Congrats on the tank. 120 is a great size. Good luck with it. Keep the pics coming. We love pics...... And your in the spokane area! I noticed brandyrb has just posted all livestock for sale. If you can get into the classifieds, check it out. There is a lot of sweet coral. I wish I was closer.

Whats this? Another junior on the forums?! IM NOT ALONE ANYMORE!!!!! :D

Id recommend telling everyone all your specs...what lighting you use, lighting hours, food you feed, your skimmer model, all that stuff. People (myself included) love to know that stuff.

Thanks everyone!

NC2WA- If I'm ever over there, I would LOVE an RBTA, thanks!

IPisces- I'm heading over there this weekend, I can't wait!

mcdonaldjosh7- I thought I was the only one! haha

The lighting is 250w MH, PC's and moonlights. For the hours, I haven't figured out the timer yet so I turn the PC's on at around 7:30 when getting ready for school and then my mom turns the halides on at noon. Then they go off at 7 and the PC's go off at 8. I know that was probably all wrong so when should I be turning on/off lights? The skimmer, well the guy I bought the tank from accidently broke the skimmer when we moved the tank, but its alright I was going to get a better one anyways. Any reccomendations? I only have a tang and a clown in there right now, they came with, but I've been feeding them Formula One frozen food, and by the same company, Formula Two flakes. Again, reccomendations would be awesome. The tank does not have a sump yet, although we are planning on having one. It has the wet/dry filter underneath.

There was one other...he was a year older then me (17) but is selling his system.

I don't think there is any set 'good' amount of lighting time. High lighting time means a longer photo period for algae and using your bulbs quicker, while also having a longer viewing time and longer time the corals are exposed to light.

As for feeding, the only thing I would recommend is that you put in some sea veggies (like these) for the tang. Also some mysis shrimp would probably help out the nutrients the fish receive.

Is this your first saltwater tank? If so, read read and read some more. (If not, read a lot too it cant hurt) But an anemone is one of the harder species to take care of, and if you are just starting out you will need as much knowledge as you can get on everything from their feeding requirements (I fed mine silversides) to lighting to requirements, to what the anemone will look like if it is getting sick.

Also, you will want to start running a skimmer as soon as possible. And in the meantime, do large amounts of water changes (with Ro/DI water of course) and do them often. Also beware that moving tanks like this can often start a small cycle, and the anemone will not deal well with that.

As far as skimmers go, I have had success with E-shoppes. Reef Octopuses have also gotten great reviews. SWC seems to be getting the best reviews, but of course thats only if it is in your price range.

I would recommend using the wet/dry filter as a sump until you get a larger tank to use as a sump. If it has things such as bioballs, I would take them out, as they will only trap detritus and then leach it back into the system as nitrates.

Good luck!

Yeah, Barbie carries algae sheets and most of the basic pets stores that carry any saltwater products will as well. I personally use the red algae sheets because I have noticed my fish go crazy for them compared to the green or brown. Barbie will tell you the same thing. However, the green sheets may be a buck or two cheaper depending on the store.

Also the gel foods, like Formula one, are great for our fish so I would def keep feeding that. Also you may want to try formula two frozen cubes as well. From what I understand it is similar to formula one but more herbivore oriented. I use formula two for my tank cause it is just about the only way I can get my clowns to eat some veggies lol.

Keep firing away with the questions and we will keep helping!

mcdonaldjosh- This is my second tank actually. I don't have experience with anemones but he's been in this tank 4yrs so I would assume he will be fine, and I will research about him to make sure I am giving him the care he needs. As far as getting a skimmer, we don't have the money for a new one right now. So I have a CPR bakpak, I know there not very good, but its the best I can do for now. It did skim like crazy after we re-filled the tank which was pretty cool.

Slate- I'm stopping by there this weekend so I can get sheets and formula two if she has it. I will get the one they like best because I want them fat and healthy:) Thanks for the help guys. The tang I have in there is a blue tang who is probably 5"+ and I have another tang I want to put in this tank who is maybe 2". Will I have to get rid of the blue tang?

Heres a couple new pics:

1........jpg

1....jpg

1......jpg

I would think you would be ok. Tang aggression usually is directed towards other tangs of the same species. Usually bristle tooth tangs, like the tomini, fly under the radar of the other, larger, species. However, with tangs liking other tangs you are always rolling the dice a little bit. I say go for it.

Back