maxi jet skimmer mods (mesh & venturi)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Holy crap!! Mark did the mod for me yesterday and wow it is collecting like mad. Thanks again!

Mark any ideas on how to love the microbubbles post skimming? After the MJ 1200 mod I am seeing microbubbles in my tank. Currently I have a filter sock on the outlet of the CPR Backpack skimmer. Thoughts?

Even with the ends off you may still have a tough time fitting some mesh on there without grinding down the impeller blades some. Try it out and let us know though.

well i tried meshing the rio 800rvt. looking at the current impellar and trying to mesh it wasnt feasible. so i dug in the box of impellers and had an old rio 800 standard. so basically i dremmeled the impeller and followed skimmerwhisperer's instructions. worked great, doubled the bubbles. probably gonna add more mesh in the future. had trouble with the bubble control, (couldnt get the right bubbles foaming with the current rio bubble mechanism,)so i used a maxijet airflow mechanism.

well i tried meshing the rio 800rvt. looking at the current impellar and trying to mesh it wasnt feasible. so i dug in the box of impellers and had an old rio 800 standard. so basically i dremmeled the impeller and followed skimmerwhisperer's instructions. worked great, doubled the bubbles. probably gonna add more mesh in the future. had trouble with the bubble control, (couldnt get the right bubbles foaming with the current rio bubble mechanism,)so i used a maxijet airflow mechanism.

had to revert back to the stock 800 rvt impellar. the mod was good but the output water gph dropped which was going to my return pump and caused microbubbles in the display.

How big is your tank and how big is your return pump?

Microbubbles are more often than not caused by oversized return pumps.

Mark, thanks for the great posts man. Can you provide some instructions for modding the Red Sea Prizm? Thanks in advance.

Mark, thanks for the great posts man. Can you provide some instructions for modding the Red Sea Prizm? Thanks in advance.

I don't think you will be able to do much with the Prizm. The reaction chamber is way too small to handle the additonal flow and air from the mesh mod.

I haven't tried it though so...

yep, i agree on the prism, you could try it though, it is an asperating pre impellar venturi...
my other thought about it is that it might be o.k. because it would be skimming wet all the time instead of intermittant skimming, and you could just set the skimmer to a lower level, anticipating it's hot rodded, wet skimming results. i have as of yet to mod this skimmer though, so im kinda judst taking a shot in the dark here. it's probably a good shot though...:)

and considering how worthless the prism truely is, how could you go wrong?

can i get this mesh stuff or gutter gaurd from home depot or any other place other than online?

Back