maxi jet skimmer mods (mesh & venturi)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I cut them all off.
There was a ASM skimmer club thread on reef central.
Might be some good info for you.

anyone elsse got an idea what would happen if i left the needles on or if it would even work

update, i've been tinkering with a remora pro that i have modded and im almost ready to post some results, just playing with different designs right now, but i've already increased performance, but im still trying to dial in the right pump and injection into skimmer body combo for best performance.

So any update on the Remora mod? Pics?

Any possible update for an Rem.ora Skimmer??? It's working and making a dry skimmate, my tank is 55 gallons reef tank

The pump in Maxi Jet 1200

Any possible update for an Rem.ora Skimmer??? It's working and making a dry skimmate, my tank is 55 gallons reef tank

The pump in Maxi Jet 1200

this mod doesnt work with the remora....nothing works with the remora....
the best you can do is slap a mag 5 on there and look at a huge ugly pump in your tank, I mean heater...and dont forget the jet engine sucking sound that comes with it... :(

for 55g I would seriously look at using a small tank or rubbermaid container for sump and getting a real skimmer...or a much better hob skimmer....

and fwiw, I'm going to revamp this thread with instructions on how to do the same mod to the quiet one 1200 pump which is insane when modded and hooked to a bakpak, mucho better than the maxi-jet. just need to borrow a camera here in the next day or 2.

i am interested n trying the Quiet one 1200 mod for my Bakpak.. did you get any pics yet???

Mark I remember when you mesh modded a quiet one for me, a few years ago.

I have that bakpak that you did the mesh mod on the maxi jet impeller, but I haven't put it in service yet. I'm looking forward to a modded quiet one.
Maybe we can do some trading?

sure thin finn.
here's a link to the QO 1200 pump,
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/LG-ARP440102.html

I still need to borrow a camera, but it's actually easier i think to mesh the QO1200 because it has a bigger impellar.
The main big thing about this pump is that it's like a mini askoll/laguna pump in design. the impellar does not connect to the volute, therefor leaving alot more room in the impellar chamber, which is oversized when compared to the mj-1200, so it works much better at mixing air and water.

I have an aqua euro HOB that I bought years ago that came with their own cheapo needle wheel pump. I'm wondering if I could run this skimmer with a modded maxijet since the pump they supply with it is supposedly only rated at 250gph with the needle wheel. It's a huge freakin pump for 250gph if that rating is true, but I don't know how much loss of flow is created with a needle wheel vs. standard impellars.

Just came across this post ill be moding my maxijet 1200 but I was wondering if the is a mod for the redsea prisim pro if anyone knows of one let me know thanks all

You really cant do much with a Prism other than hooking up an airstone to it. Even you could mod the pump with mesh it would be too much for the tiny reaction chamber and neck on the Prism

I don't know if I said it the pro series it hold about 2.5 gallon. It moves a ton of water and a lot of bubbles but I don't get the skim that I did with my little cpr. Is there any tricks to tunning these things

RS1135_2.jpg

RS1135_99.jpg

Still way too small a reaction chamber and neck IMO.

As is you maybe getting way too much turbulence inside to really develop and maintain a foam head easily.

mkay, here's the deal with modding the prism pro, the locking volute "cover" that holds the pump inlet into place has to be dremeled and drilled to accomodate a new venturi hole in the pump inlet. the pump it's self is easily big enough to mesh mod then, but what a real pain in the azz!!! i started modding a pro, and never finished...
and yes, the regular prism is waaay to small to do any serious modding to.

it's a shame because they could almost say they have a hob "cone" design to the body, if they would just update to using a pinwheel impeller with real venturi, change the neck diameter, they might actually have a real skimmer then...

Back