Megaflow drainpipes

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

JimDandy

I have an All-Glass aquarium with dual MegaFlow overflow systems. I’ve connected both up identically. On one side, the drainpipe seems to be working fine but the level of water in the other one seems far higher. The level reaches almost to the top of the curve in the drainpipe and the flow into the sump is full of air bubbles. It almost seems as if the strainer is blocked and all the flow is through the anti-siphon holes but the strainer and the pipe to the sump is clear.

As for height, I have adjusted them both level, then made the right one higher than the left, then the left higher than the right.

JimDandy said:
I have an All-Glass aquarium with dual MegaFlow overflow systems. I’ve connected both up identically. On one side, the drainpipe seems to be working fine but the level of water in the other one seems far higher. The level reaches almost to the top of the curve in the drainpipe and the flow into the sump is full of air bubbles. It almost seems as if the strainer is blocked and all the flow is through the anti-siphon holes but the strainer and the pipe to the sump is clear.

Tagging along. I have the exact same thing hapining with one of mine (all glass). I can't figure it out for the life of me. It really sucks because I have to cut the return pump way back to keep the tank from overflowing.

Brian

how do you have your drain lines running to your sump???if you have them meeting and going into one pipe in to your sump, one side could be slower. i don't know ,just a thought.

The sump is a MegaFlow Model 4 and I'm using the pair of flexible hoses that came with it. Each one empties into it's own port on the sump. I plan on using PVC plumbing with cutoffs and such eventually, but have not gotten to that point yet.

i hope that this is not a frequent problem w/ all glass...i have just ordered one...

Rod Buehler said:
any dips in any of the flexable hoses that would fill with water and cause a back pressure?

There used to be dips and when I spoke to AGA about the problem that is one of the things they brought up too. The trouble is that the kit for the standpipes I bought comes with 4ft hoses and there is no way not to have a dip.

Another thing I was told was that now that I have plumbed using PVC pipe, any 90 degree turns can cause problems with the standpipes as well as level runs or runs that run uphill into the sump. Since this is a gravity fed portion of the system, it is important not to hinder any of the gravitational aspects of the flow. With the PVC plumbing, I now have two level runs and the trouble is even worse since I’ve doubled the amount of air flowing into the sump. I personally don’t mind the sound of the water, many people pay for fountains to get this level of “white noise”, so if you’re like me, you can live with it but I would prefer a more silent system.

so, AGA said that you should not "hard" plumb your drain??? they want you to use flex pvc???? i just got my overflow kits and they didn't have any hoses w/ them... i ordered an AGA that didn't come w/ the overflow kits..they were extra...well, they sent me an Oceanic tank w/ an overflow kit that came with it standard...they are the same company now,right...they are both mega flow kits

I have a 125 with the megaflow system. I just hvae some flexible hosing (the type you buy at Home Depot or Ace) I think it's about 2" or so. I know it slides right onto the drain bulkhead on the tanks. They free flow directly straight down onto each side of the sump , go through a bubble trap and I have the return in the middle. I don't hvae a single problem and both overflows are always within I'd say 1/4" of each other on the level. I can pour water in and they have no problem keeping up or overflowing at all.

When I had the two overflows connected I had a problem. But now that they are seperate, none at all.

check to see if you have a pinch in the one drain to your sump. could be blocking the water flow on one side.

key point from esears they must have a direct flow out to handle the rating of 1200 gph. (IMO seems alittle high of a rating)

yes oceanic and all glass are owned by the same company.... they also own esu coralife.
ronj said:
so, AGA said that you should not "hard" plumb your drain??? they want you to use flex pvc???? i just got my overflow kits and they didn't have any hoses w/ them... i ordered an AGA that didn't come w/ the overflow kits..they were extra...well, they sent me an Oceanic tank w/ an overflow kit that came with it standard...they are the same company now,right...they are both mega flow kits

AGA didn't suggest that you couldn't hard plumb but that all the runs need to be pointing down and to use only 45 degree turns if possible. Any level or upward running plumbing can cause the back pressure.

Back