Melting Zoas

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ntswift

mako shark
Can anybody tell me why Zoas and paly's just melt away? :confused: I recently got some magicians and today I noticed that one of them is melting away. I also had some bumble bee hybrids that did the same thing. I am just trying to figure out how to stop it! TIA!

Matt

Zoanthids can be heart breakers. Sometimes they just melt for no visable reason. However many times if you do see a problem with them and act right away you can head off total melt down.
There are several different dips that can be done to save them.
I've used CoralRx, ReVive, Lugols, and Melafix with some success.
For zoapox, Furan 2 is usually used.

Zoanthids are definately strange in the way that they can die with no explaination. If I ever see a polyp with a problem, I cut it away and usually it saves the rest.

It seems like there is a season around NOV when zoos sometimes go down hill then they recover and do well again.

i bought some magicians and they were doing fine in the sand then i decided i wanted to mount them on my zoanthid garden rock. a day went by after mounting they started to melt. i i took them off and put them back in the sand. i lost 6 heads and im down to 2.5 hopefully they pull through

Back