Merc + Brad's new 50g

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hey Mercedes, Reef Hot Spot has blue spot jawfish on sale for 69.99...... Just so you know.... lol... sorry Brad

Grrr...

It's all good. I am actually doing a mod tonight to install a bulkhead in the overflow box so the return doesn't go up and over. Once that is done I have some egg crate that will fit over the top nicely.

I am a bit worried about how much light eggcrate will block. I think I am going to track down the PSAS light meter to do some tests.

I guess they're a really nice store in Cali, and they have an online front too. I haven't purchased from them yet, so I can't personally give a feedback though, lol.

MAJOR DISASTER! last night brad accidentally bumped the phosphate reactor, which splashed the vortech controller. that little splash fried the controller's little bits! :( brad tried everything to get it back up and running, but ended up ordering a new one last night. hopefully, it'll start back up again when we hook-up the new one. maybe we should build an acrylic case to enclose the controller so this doesn't happen again.

yay for overnight shipping! brad hooked that puppy up (new controller), reinstalled the mp40w + we're back up + running! wooOOo!

we moved a bunch of the coral from the 15g over to the new tank a few days back. i also got around to relocating our recently acquired itty bitty baby yellow tang + fire shrimp yesterday. the tang + fire shrimp are extremely skittish at the moment + making good use of the little cubby caves. hopefully, they don't make a habit of hiding out in back. we're also waiting to introduce kazoo (our starry blenny) to the new tank until we finish stocking + gluing everything down.

oh, i forgot to mention the tank now has an egg crate cover + is blue spot jawfish ready! wooOOooOo! :)

ordered a bunch of wysiwyg atl sps frags today. looking forward to paying the seattle metro area LFS's a visit tomorrow to see what the have in stock.

also, i was wondering if anyone would be interested in purchasing our little multi-color zoo island? i would like to keep strictly lps + sps in the new 50g tank, which means the zoos gotta go! please pm me or brad if interested.

older pix of zoo island under actinics:
DSC00074.JPG

somewhat old pix of zoo island: (filled-in gaps w/ pink panthers + tubb's blues)
DSC_0625%20%282%29.JPG

how much did you want to sell the rock for?

Hi rcw98022,

We were thinking $100 was fair. Let me know if you're interested. Thanks!

PS: We also have separate small frags of pink panthers + watermelons + tubbs blue if anyone is interested in acquiring those. They are $15 w/ 5+ polyps on each frag.

MAJOR DISASTER! last night brad accidentally bumped the phosphate reactor, which splashed the vortech controller. that little splash fried the controller's little bits! :( brad tried everything to get it back up and running, but ended up ordering a new one last night. hopefully, it'll start back up again when we hook-up the new one. maybe we should build an acrylic case to enclose the controller so this doesn't happen again.

did you get this fixed? interested in buying the bad unit. let me know. thanks

Hi rcw98022,

We were thinking $100 was fair. Let me know if you're interested. Thanks!

PS: We also have separate small frags of pink panthers + watermelons + tubbs blue if anyone is interested in acquiring those. They are $15 w/ 5+ polyps on each frag.

how big is the rock? I may want to buy it depeding on the size

Last edited:
Grrr... got a little surprise this evening. We were getting ready to glue a few of our corals into place that had been acclimating in the new tank.

This is the underside of our Green Spongode Montipora.
DSC_0326.JPG

Close up of one of the Monti Eating Nudis.
DSC_0327.JPG

Of course we are leaving to go camping first thing in the morning for two days. We scrubbed our Monties and placed them back in the old tank for now.

Any tips on what works best for eradicating these guys? Potassium Permanganate, Luglos, Praziquantel???

looks like the nudi outbreak is under control... for now... i scrubbed the #!%#*& out of every single one of the montis we've got + banished the spongode to the 15g for the time being. they were a little angry at first, but seem to be doing well. dang suggested picking up a wrasse just in case, so we'll be scouting the LFS this week for something non-aggressive (not-a-6-line).

casualties...

brad went out + picked up 1 of the 9 blue spot jawfish barrier got in recently from their trip down to so.cal. we named him DORITO. he was a busy little fish digging burrows all over the place, but one day he we didn't see him and had assumed he was digging burrows in the back of the tank. another day went by + i decided to start looking around for him. yesterday, i found him all shriveled up on the carpet behind the tank! wtf! :( sadly, i've decided to give up on blue spot jawfish. that's the second bsj suicide we've endured + brad has banned me from purchasing anymore. also, lost our strawberry lemonade ATL frag. it just started bleaching from the bottom up out of no where. :(

brad went out + picked up 1 of the 9 blue spot jawfish barrier got in recently from their trip down to so.cal. we named him DORITO. he was a busy little fish digging burrows all over the place, but one day he we didn't see him and had assumed he was digging burrows in the back of the tank. another day went by + i decided to start looking around for him. yesterday, i found him all shriveled up on the carpet behind the tank! wtf! :( sadly, i've decided to give up on blue spot jawfish. that's the second bsj suicide we've endured + brad has banned me from purchasing anymore. also, lost our strawberry lemonade ATL frag. it just started bleaching from the bottom up out of no where. :(

Sorry for your loss :( You need one of these:
DSC02025.JPG

Back