MH 20,000k Light upgrade

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

eartaker

Well after about 4 months now with 2x 175W HM 20,000K's the tank dosnt look bright enough to me... The coral and clams are doing fine but I was thinking about upgrading to 2X250W's. I wouldn't have to change out the ballast since it will already support it but do you think 2x250W over a 75 display is pushing it? I will be replacing my old off brand atinic bulbs tonight with 2x ATI true blues and 1 ATI true atinic. so maybe that will help the look for a bit.

Thoughts?

I used a 250watt mh and 2 x 75 watt VHO over my 30" wide, 40 gallon tank.
If you acclimate everything properly, you could do it.
But you know the heat level is probally going to go up a little

4x2x2 is 150g... 2x what I have but not much more in depth. I guess for $13 per bulb it wont hurt to try. I added the ATI bulbs today... the tank looks darker but the coral foresees more. I thin I may want to add another atinic or something. I was also reading that he bulbs have a break in period

4x2x2 is 150g... 2x what I have but not much more in depth. I guess for $13 per bulb it wont hurt to try. I added the ATI bulbs today... the tank looks darker but the coral foresees more. I thin I may want to add another atinic or something. I was also reading that he bulbs have a break in period

its a 120g Aquarium and Fish Tank Volume Calculator , but the point is its not much taller, and i have nealry 1000 watts directly above a shelf that sits 9 inches below water surface and the lights are 6 toi 7 inches above tank.

at 14k you will have more PUR than me though, lol I should have mentioned that my mh are 20k ushio and all four 110w vho's are actinics.

Well after doing some looking... compared to the PAR coral sees due to the sun... the 250W MH's are nothing.

Back