MH question. I want more blue

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

trido

Fish Tank Freak
I've recently switched from 250DE to 400SE bulbs. I used to run phoenix14k DE and liked the color quite a bit. When I switched to 400s I decided I wanted to go a bit bluer. Now IM running reeflux 12K Se and the color is good but not quite as blue as I'd like. I keep researching Sanjays site for spectral plots and nothing seems to be any bluer than what I already have, but Ive seen alot of tanks that are far bluer than mine.
I am running Icecap electronic ballasts and use VHO actinics as supplement.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a very blue bulb with decent par?

I vote for the Hamilton 14ks also.

I am using 2 of them in my tank with a 10k in the middle and the ends of my tank are really blue (you can really see it in the pictures). I used a couple different types of the 14ks, before trying the Hamiltons and really like the blue I get from them best.

Now I am just trying to decide whether to get away from using the 10k in the middle and use all 14k. I started using a mix of bulbs after being told by a reputable LFS that you get more SPS growth from 10k and more SPS color from 14k so I was trying to get the best of both worlds. But my new setup with 3 lights over 8 foot there is not much mixing of the light so the coral are under one or the other, and personally I do not see much difference, coral in both areas are brightly colored and growing.

Are you two talking about 250s or 400s? It just so happens I was looking at a hamilton 20K that ive never seen before

The reason I ask is because the reeflux 12K 250s are twice as blue as their 12K 400s IMO.

The reason I ask is because the reeflux 12K 250s are twice as blue as their 12K 400s IMO.

I think that seems to be the case also. The nice thing about the hamilton is at 14k there is still a very nice par. Im not sure about the 20k heres a couple places selling them though.

this are all of the bulbs i'd been through,,for the last 4 years
12k reeflux,not bright enough very short live
14 k blueline,daker blue 12
14k hamillton,,brighter blue
20k coralview ,brighter blue
20k xm,,just right for my eye and personal ref
never used phenix(HQI)??or radium(HQI)
they all looks almost the same,excepted light blue or darker blue,,my is 7" from bulb to the water surface,so they are penatrated pretty good.
they are all 400w std ballast subp with super act VHO
the best i like it so far for more than a year now is 2kXM with VHO actenic.,hope this help some.

Are you two talking about 250s or 400s? It just so happens I was looking at a hamilton 20K that ive never seen before

I am using the 250s

Consider that many of the "blue" systems may be using 20k bulbs.

Also, there are many more SE than DE bulbs from which to choose.....

Then take two excedrin for the headache of picking what's perfect :)
Good luck! D

Just read a post on the other reef forum posing almost exactly your question, wanting more par and coloration out of his 400W MH icecap setup. Some of the responses indicated the problem was the ballast as the icecap will not overdrive the bulb and get you more bang from the bulb. I will PM you the link to the other post.

Just read a post on the other reef forum posing almost exactly your question, wanting more par and coloration out of his 400W MH icecap setup. Some of the responses indicated the problem was the ballast as the icecap will not overdrive the bulb and get you more bang from the bulb. I will PM you the link to the other post.
This is exactly what is happening Duane. The icecap ballasts are efficient because they don't overdrive the bulbs, thus saving electricity and bulb life. Unfortunately this means you can't get a 20K blue bulb to look good and put out the par you want. Typically you want an HQI ballast (non-electronic) to run the 20K bulbs.

Is using a 150W/10K or 14 K better than using 150W/20k in terms of coral color and growth.

The higher the "K" value, the lower the par. The bluer the color, the poorer the penetration in the water. A balancing act between what is most pleasing in view (color) and which is best for feeding your corals (growth).

Natural Sunlight temperature is 5000k. The closest bulbs to this color made are 6500k which looks VERY yellow to most viewers in most tanks.

I lean toward 12Kk

The higher the "K" value, the lower the par. The bluer the color, the poorer the penetration in the water. A balancing act between what is most pleasing in view (color) and which is best for feeding your corals (growth).

Natural Sunlight temperature is 5000k. The closest bulbs to this color made are 6500k which looks VERY yellow to most viewers in most tanks.

I lean toward 12Kk

Thanks I think I will go for a 10 K,try it for a few months and if not go for 12 or 14 K.I am presently using 150W/20 k but its been almost a year now.Will the K make a difference in regards to algae growth.

Thanks I think I will go for a 10 K,try it for a few months and if not go for 12 or 14 K.I am presently using 150W/20 k but its been almost a year now.Will the K make a difference in regards to algae growth.

High k bulbs don't last as long. A one year old 20k is all used up. Old bulbs seem to contribute to algae growth. Not sure if there is any study on bulb color to algae growth. If you have an algae problem, it is from too much nutrients in the water. You will need to balance one or more of the following:feed less, skim more, change water more often.

The hamilton 14ks are definately really bright and more on the blue end. I've always been happy with them BUT I'm a sucker for the 20k radiums :)

Indirectly...more par=more algae growth if the nutrients are available. Since higher K usually equals less par then the general assumption would be also less algae growth.

Last edited:
Sanjay Joshi uses 400 w Geisemann Coral bulbs...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1025029&perpage=25&pagenumber=30

The bulbs are sold as Giesmann Coral. The K rating is no where on the box. They do test out close to 14K, and hance are a crisp whitish blue looking unlike the so called 14Ks that have a predominent blue color.

Yes, I am running them with Icecap Electronic ballasts.

The bulbs are now about 17 months old and due for a change.

sanjay.

Checking out his page on lighting and comparing two lamps and ballasts....

http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/select2lamp.php

The Geisemann Coral bulb has a higher PPFD, (essentially PAR), than an XM10k, when both are compared using a PFO HQI ballast.

Nick

Back