mh retro set up

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

darklcd

nursing eel
hey all

I managed to come across someone on eba selling a 4 X250 mh retro kit and I don't want to pass that up. it would cost me over 1500 to get that here lol

What I am wondering is and please don't laugh but I don't know anything about mh lighting other then its one of the best out there. I am used to dealing with basic tube set ups. I was told that it comes with everything that I need bulbs, cords, reflectors and ballast and to tell ya the truth I have no idea how to set this up or what the main parts of it are. I mean reflector and bulbs are pretty much a no brainer but the ballast I don't know what it is, here it goes and if I have to have it in my canopy or if I can put them somewhere else heres the link.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=250075079702&rd=1&rd=1

if someone can talk me through it and let me know about the ballast and what it is that would be great

thanks

well that could go good or bad IMO, the seller has good feedback but I find it a little fishy, may be some cheap stuff, he doesn't say it is M58 ballast or what type reflectors, this is another auction from what I gather.

agreed sounds cheap,

it says right there, its a m58....

but why sell it from canada if its made in the us?

u might get it only to regret it later, down the road...

so I guess I should spend the extra a get a good one from somewhere that I know. It is located in the usa I just use ebay canada cuse I live in ontario. What is a good price for a retro kit and what should I look for and what are good quality parts?

yep pritty much, warranty some kind of reinsurence to let you know its good new and works and will do what you need to do... not 6 months your posting saying, my mh are doing this, and i cant get a hold of the guy who sold em to me
or something along that line,

i would get something either local or thur a good online source like marine depot or who ever you use,

i mean if you live, close 2 where its at, why not try to get in contact with the seller and see if you can see them b4 you buy

cant hurt

Well how much more do things cost when getting things across the border, that is the big question? I have to ask how many lights do you need? What size is your tank? If you need 4 250 watt MH lights you must have a big tank, I never seen anything that cheap for 4 250 watt mh light retros, never, even used that is cheap & I think the ballast are used if you read carefully, which might not be a big deal because most will last a long time. That is a tuff question for me to help with, I wouldn't want to steer you wrong on such a big cost.

the tank is going to be 96X30X36 400 gal. I also was wondering if I could get away with only 3 insted of 4. I don't mind spending a littl bit extra if I have to. thats why I wanted to talk to you guys and find out what you thought.

I also wanted to know if that 400 watt will provide more light all around and not just for depth. I was thinking of going with 250's but if 400's will give me better light then I will go with them. I know that they are better for a deeper set up but will it shine around better?

These are good guys. I bought a nice PC fixture from them with no issues or quality problems. Also they are in CA. they just have added Canadian pricing with it.

with a 36 deep, i would think that 2 or 3 400's would do you justice.

but i really dont know.. i know a 400watt Mh with ballest is hot as hell... and 2 or 3 will rase the temp of any room thats like a full time heater runing on full

i would think that a 400 would have more depth then a 250, but i know for sure its brighter.

I would personally go with 4. From what I've read and experienced, a MH bulb with spider reflector is good for a 2'x2' area. Not sure if 250w would be good enough for a 36" deep tank but I dont have much expertise in that area. Good luck!

I agree With David , 4 would be ideal for a 8 ft long tank. And 400 watt would be the package I would look at, anything over 30 inches would need penetrating light. 400 would do the trick for sure.

the tank is going to be 30 high and 36 wide. I don't mind having 4 bulbs at all I thought that would be better then 3. I am just wondering if there is anything else that would work that I can use besides mh that will get down 30". I don't plan on having anything really demanding on the bottom or at all for that matter. Got any ideas?

My only concern is the item description states 4 reflectors on one line and three on another line. It also states the ballast are used. I would just ask the seller to clarify the description. One other thing that I don't like is that it only has one ballast so if it went bad you would loose all your lighting.

the tank is going to be 30 high and 36 wide. I don't mind having 4 bulbs at all I thought that would be better then 3. I am just wondering if there is anything else that would work that I can use besides mh that will get down 30". I don't plan on having anything really demanding on the bottom or at all for that matter. Got any ideas?

If you dont plan on going SPS, you could go with a solaris led lighting system :D Don't look at the price tag though, just pay it lol

ya,

probly should have 2 or 3 ballest, a few pc's antinic's, or maybe a few t5's

something else besides the mh

AVOID that EBAY seller. Sells the cheapest crap. My light from him had both fans go out on it within 3 months. Save your money and put it towards something quality.

i like MarineMadness.com.. he has an Ebay store as well...good prices on retro MH setups...free shipping too!!!!!

thats something that I will have to look into. But I am still wondering if I shold go with 3 or 4 lights I am still not sure I am trying to save if I can so what do you guys think?

you could always buy 3 and see how it looks..you may have to adjust the reflectors some...if you don't like it, get a 4th one

Back