microbubbles

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mowog

Microbubbles formed by my aquarium's return to the sump pass through the filter bag and are not removed by the sump's bubble traps due to the high flow rate. I have a Panworld ps150 moving about 900 gal. per hour. Does anyone know what size bag will stop microbubbles? I think the one I am using is 100 microns.

Weird; I think that I'm running about 900GPH through my 100 Micron bag and I've never had any microbubble troubles. I can't even think of how mircobubbles would make it through. Maybe some else will jump in here that's smarter than I.

Welcome to RF!! :) One thing you can maybe try in the meantime is to put an elbow (90 degree fitting) on the suction for the return pump and have it suck like a half an inch or so off of the bottom of the sump. Bubbles will rise so if you suck water off of the bottom of the sump, chances are you will miss quite a few of them. Even better, have the pump suck off of the bottom of the sump to the far end of the return chamber opposite to where the water enters the return chamber to have an even greater success rate of missing the microbubbles. I did this with one of my setups which helped a lot. Also, it gives you more headroom for evaporation and you won't have to top off the sump as quickly. :)

Thank for the suggestions Krish75. I tried both those ides some time ago with no success. The bubbles are uniformly dispersed in the water with little dissipation. There simply is not enough time due to the flow rate. I could throttle down the pump but that's if all else fails. Removing the bubbles from the return line has proved to be difficult so I plan on using a finer weave filter bag to remove them. I guess I'll try a 50 micron and see what happens.

Bummer...Any chance to get a pic of your sump layout??? We may be able to see what can be done to help simply by seeing the sump. Some people use the big blue polishing blocks right before where the water enters the return chamber that is supposed to help, but as I mentioned, seeing a pic would help tons :)

Back