Millepora polyp extension

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

skidclan4

I have 3 different ORA millepora's in my tank. Pink Scripps, Blue Millepora, and Rose Millepora. Whenever I look at other's pictures of their milleporas I notice very little polyp extension and incredible coloration of the skeletal structure. Mine however, have so much polyp extension that I can't see much of the color or skeleton. The skeleton isn't as thick and pronounced as the ones I see all the time. Am I hitting it with too much flow or too much light maybe? I understand polyp extension can be a good indicator of coral health but I would also love to see the color. What is the best placement and flow? thanks for the advice.

Tank parameters 150 gallon 6ft. calcium reactor.
nitrate 0
calcium 410
alkalinity 9-10
phospate 0
3 400watt reeflux 10k
2 seio 1500 1 seio 2600 and mag 12 return pump

I have the ORA Nathans green and the rose millepora. I have mine under 2 250w 10k reeflux. I "think" I have good color and great polyp extension. The Nathans green is a very shaggy coral and at times it's hard to see the actual skeleton due to it being so shaggy. I have mine up in the top third of the tank and are being hit with a mj 1200 mod kit. Back and forth the flow goes. If the flow is high then the coral will make up for it with thicker branches. If the flow is low then the branching will be thinner.

Have you moved the pieces around to see what they level they look the best?? My water tests are basically exactly as yours.

I own quite a few A. millepora corals and they all have polyp extension that masks the color a bit. Extreme polyp extension is typical for that species. The color displays best when viewed from above or at a steep angle. Some specimens only show dark/bright color when you touch them and the polyps retract (not advised to do this on a regular basis :) ). A. prostrata as a rule has fewer/less polyp extension so the underlying color shows up more. The two corals are often confused because they are so difficult to tell apart. I'm not always sure of which is which either especially from pictures.

Regards,
Kevin

Thanks for the insight. I thought maybe I had something wrong because the coral looks like cousin IT for the Adams family. All fuzzy polyps and hardly any skeletal structure showing. Thanks for the advice you provide in such a timely mannor. Here in Idaho there isn't as much information available locally. I appreciate all the info.

I have noticed that some of my millis have the same polyp extension no matter where I move them (ie. High flow low flow high light low light) and others change a lot depending on where they are in the tank... its very odd I guess they are all a lil different... personally I like the really shaggy sps

same here fload. I love the A. tenuis another really polyp-y acro. I love my A. albrolhoensis stags{2 color morphs}. They are super shaggy. There are quite a few species that have nice polyp extension.

Back