Mirage's 40 Gallon Stretch Hex

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MGDMIRAGE

Shoulda been a fish!
first-pic.jpg

Drilled it two days ago (thanks Tony!) and painted it today. Picked up more plumbing supplies today too, going with soft plumbing originally PVC.

More to follow, maybe tomorrow, maybe after thanksgiving.

I have been thinking, unfortunately for everyone....We forgot to drill a return line, like for a 3/4" loc line return? I though both of what we drilled were for overflows, or is one a return line?

Both overflows, i'm just going to do an up and over return. I was a bit worried about any back siphon with such a small sump so the up and over with a hole right near the surface seems safest to me.

Both overflows, i'm just going to do an up and over return. I was a bit worried about any back siphon with such a small sump so the up and over with a hole right near the surface seems safest to me.

Good point, I always kept my returns about 1/2" below water line for that exact reason.

A bit more progress lastnight. Still not done with overflow, got some cutting to do and painting to it. The outflow pipes if they end up being too loud i may drill them and try and do some sort of derso setup. I just loved how close this method was to the tank. The other method i was going to do was t connectors and nipples which brought the plumbing out another inch or two from this one. And yes i'll be putting clamps on the hoses :) Still have yet to baffle the sump, i have to go to lowes and have them cut me some acrylic. Anyway here are some pics.

DPP_0002.jpg

DPP_0004.jpg

DPP_0006.jpg

DPP_0001.jpg

I saw this style overflow awhile back on someones tank and i absolutely loved how little footprint it made inside of the tank so i had to make one :) I believe it's a member here on RF but i can't remember who.

Lemme know what you think!

I've seen that type of overflow a couple times in the past. Most reviews were pretty good.
Are you going to paint the pvc?

"KINGNEPTUN"'s was the one with the long PVC overflow..
I thought it was flawed.. will ake too much cleaning to keep it going??
Just a thought..

Love the tank.. Gonna be pretty neat..

Back