Mirage's 40 Gallon Stretch Hex

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hey Shawn,

What do you think about cutting a bunch of vertical slots in the pipe, just like a regular overflow, as opposed to one long horizontal cut? I think we could put that thing under a chop saw and just make a bunch of cuts, and cut them close together to get about a 1/4" wide slot???

"KINGNEPTUN"'s was the one with the long PVC overflow..
I thought it was flawed.. will ake too much cleaning to keep it going??
Just a thought..

Love the tank.. Gonna be pretty neat..

Thanks everyone!

Yep that was the person!

I'll look into making it work somehow i love the idea too much.

and yeah it's going to all be painted black to become nearly invisible.

Hey Shawn,

What do you think about cutting a bunch of vertical slots in the pipe, just like a regular overflow, as opposed to one long horizontal cut? I think we could put that thing under a chop saw and just make a bunch of cuts, and cut them close together to get about a 1/4" wide slot???

Hey Tony, that sounds like a good idea, know anyone with a chopsaw? :D

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!

Yep that was the person!

I'll look into making it work somehow i love the idea too much.

and yeah it's going to all be painted black to become nearly invisible.

Hey Tony, that sounds like a good idea, know anyone with a chopsaw? :D

ohh and if you chop saw it - it'll be like a lazy man's coast to coast, without the coast to coast acrylic :)

If you want to have the option of cleaning the slotted PVC overflow, you could try this. On one of the ends, instead of using a 90 degree elbow, you could use a tee with an internally threaded end. Install a plug into that end. If you need to clean out the inside of the long PVC pipe, remove the plug from the tee and clean it out with a long handled brush.

To do this and prevent your sump from flooding, you could install ball valves onto your two drain lines.

G

Sorry for the lack of updates i kinda put this on hold because the wife and i are trying to find a new place to live, this apartment is a bit small for us now. I definitely still plan to set it up soon as we figure out whether or not we are moving.

Finally got the guts to finally transfer rest of rock over and most of the corals :) I totally love how my ATI T5s look on this tank they look way better than on the 20L for some reason. Perhaps the shallow depth on the 20L made the color get lost a little bit because the intensity was so high and now that i have some depth to work with i can now see the spectrum better(theory).

Anyway here is the FTS i took about 30 mins after the liverock and coral transfer. Still no fish in the tank they are in the 20 gallon yet, i'll be bringing most of them to Barbies today, only fish i'll be keeping is my 6 line.

3-27-10FTS.jpg

^ Ajnweb actually did the cuts for me with his chop saw :) Decided that perhaps the cuts would be more efficient then a slit. Even seeing the tank in person you can barely see the overflow at all. I totally love it so far, much more quiet then i had expected and i totally love having a crystal clear surface on my tank!

Thanks again Tony :)

Tank is looking good. I have been running the same type of overflow on a 40 Breeder for a few months now and it works great. I just did a long slit length wise and it works good. I really like how little room it takes up.

Tank is looking good. I have been running the same type of overflow on a 40 Breeder for a few months now and it works great. I just did a long slit length wise and it works good. I really like how little room it takes up.

Yeah that was the biggest perk for me i didn't want a large overflow box taking up room inside the tank, this solution takes basically zero room it only takes space up at the surface.

Some pictures since i'm bored while i wait for my GDM to ship :)

084.jpg

085.jpg

093.jpg

095.jpg

096.jpg

What happend to my Slimer from my 20g long heater fiasco apparently SPS hates extended periods of time at 65 degrees :( I chopped off most of the STN, lost over two inches off that frag.

101.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now for some Sixline Wrasse Glamour shots since he is my only fish at the moment.

110.jpg

114.jpg

117.jpg

120.jpg

Back