Mistakes #..........how to not set up a Calcium reactor

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
I recently purchased another calcium reactor. The reactor was a large unit.
It had never been used. I purchased some of the new Caribean Sea Media, the one that is just like Schuran media. I purchased a new denerle One way Co2 check valve. I clean the reactor. I wash the media. I installed the clean media inside reactor. I leak test. Ok, so I have a few leaks. I tighten a few screws to stop leaks. It does great. I fill the bubble counter with RO water 3/4ths the way. I connect the Co2 lines. I make sure everything is tight. I crack the Co2 valve on the bottle. BOOM! It happened that fast. Does anyone know what happened? I want to see if I am the only idiot that did this. I also want people to be aware it could happen to them.

I think I would have hade a heart attack. Happy you still have your head. These do not need to be tight at all. The fitting is large so most crab a big wrench and use the full length of the wrench. This makes them way over tight. Just over hand tight is plenty.

Don

oh man Ed - scary. did you actually crack the valve on the Co2 tank itself? I've heard sometimes the bottle of C02 can go flying like a missile if the valve on the tank breaks.

did this just happen from overtightening do you think or what?

I miss read that. I thought you meant you actually caracked the co2 valve. You didnt pull a Mojo and blow up your new reactor did you.

Don

I miss read that. I thought you meant you actually caracked the co2 valve. You didnt pull a Mojo and blow up your new reactor did you.

Don

Yes, I blew the top end of my reactor off. Water went everywhere in Kitchen. Good thing wife was gone with Mother in law. :oops:

I hope others learn by this. After you test with water for leaks with your reactor, always crack your valve to effluent open before turning on CO2. This could happen to you. I hope it never does. I looked at reactor and it looks like it can be glued. I see no cracks. I just need to learn what type of glue to prevent hazing. I could always take it to Brian. I want this thing leak proof.

Last edited:
That sucks. I heard a similar story recently where a guy leak checked his unit by connecting it to the garden hose. He too failed to open the effluent valve. Same results - blew the side out.

Way to go on doing it while the wife was away. If only I could be so lucky when I make these sorts of mistakes!

Oh boy.. didn't even know somethign like this could happen. I would've figured if anything, the little adjustable effluent valve or another tiny valve wouldv'e blown first vs. the top of the full reactor. Holy smokes. Sorry to hear about your misfortune Ed, but also thanks for sharing. Like I said, I wouldn'tve even known something like this could happen had you not posted.

Ben

figured if anything, the little adjustable effluent valve or another tiny valve wouldv'e blown first vs. the top of the full reactor...Ben

All a matter of PSI. The large lit has a lot of square inches so just a few PSI has a lot of pressure against it whereas a little valve only has a small "footprint" with pressure exerting against it. Good that only the top blew in lieu of fractures and acrylic shrapnel. Ed, you would be sorely missed!

Be careful Ed, I can see headline now. "Guy losses eye to some crazy aquarium contraption" next on Eye Witness news at 11:00. :D

I would have never thought you could build that much pressure up in a reactor. What size pump where you feeding the thing with? I'm surprised the pump could of built that much pressure.

This is actually a good bit of advice as I am about ready to set up a reactor for the first time this weekend and the thought of this happening freaks me out a little bit...keep flow all open/pressure low.

I have heard that the pressure in some tanks is enough to drive them straight into the ground/hundreds of feet, yards (miles?) if you break the deal that holds the gas in.

Maybe I can get my wife to do the leak test and open the bottle. ;)

I have heard that the pressure in some tanks is enough to drive them straight into the ground/hundreds of feet, yards (miles?) if you break the deal that holds the gas in.

Mythbusters popped the top off of one and shot it through a cinderblock wall. I doubt it could go into the ground like that but a cinderblock wall is pretty impressive in my book...http://mythbustersresults.com/episode63

Be careful Ed, I can see headline now. "Guy losses eye to some crazy aquarium contraption" next on Eye Witness news at 11:00. :D

I would have never thought you could build that much pressure up in a reactor. What size pump where you feeding the thing with? I'm surprised the pump could of built that much pressure.

At 1100 psi in a fresh co2 bottle its pretty simple for a thing like this to happen.

Don

Mythbusters popped the top off of one and shot it through a cinderblock wall. I doubt it could go into the ground like that but a cinderblock wall is pretty impressive in my book...http://mythbustersresults.com/episode63

I meant to say a few feet into the ground, or like a rocket many hundreds of feet through the air...not like drive it a mile into the ground...whoops. :)

And now that you mention it I do remember that episode.

Maybe I can get my wife to do the leak test and open the bottle. ;)[/QUOTE]

Lol, I know nothing...,:D

Thanks for all the kind words guys:). The reactor just needs glue. It came apart at seems of flange. I need to learn what type of acylic glue to use. There are no cracks. Maybe I can post pictures. :)

Easy fix Ed what is it made of cast or extruded. Was it the bottom or the top.

Don

Thanks Don:)
It was the top flange. The flange is has a groove where cylinder insets. Its a Reef Fantasea reactor. I like Jonathons products. :) I am not sure what type of acylic.

Thanks Don:)
It was the top flange. The flange is has a groove where cylinder insets. Its a Reef Fantasea reactor. I like Jonathons products. :) I am not sure what type of acylic.

Take it outside and hold it up to the sun. look for lines in the tube going along its length. If you see any its more likely extruded.

Don

Some bad news maybe....

The cylinder on my reactor did break on the top. Maybe you can see the pictures. The Battery was low on my camera.
I can see lines going upward in the acrylic. :confused:

Back