MJ mods

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I want to get a mod kit too and would apreciate help putting it together from someone who learned from this last event as I missed out !
Paul

Leng Sy would like a few more of these. I can pay for it myself. Its the least I can do for a free Guest Speaker.

WHo else would like mod kits. I'm willing to do another group order for the AUgust picnic at Shark Reef and we can probably snag Brad to show everyone quickly how to do it. Maybe we can get a sheet made in advance as to how long to cut the parts.. :)

Let me know if your gonna order coleen .Otherwise I'll get them myself. I have not yet ordered as I just forgot where to ?

BTW... If anyone decided to use the flex airline to connect the rigid tube to the magnet, you should use the black airline that came with the original Maxijet pump instead. This black tube is much stronger and won't fail like the clear airline tubing will.

It's been my experience that after some time the clear flex airline could stretch and work itself loose, causing the rigid tube to slide forward and making the propeller hit the stopper and gets stuck.

The better way to build this now would be to break the plastic drive dog on the MJ magnet and slide the inner tube out. Then you can insert the rigid tube directly inside the magnet. The caveat to this method though is that it is somewhat permanent so if you are sloppy and made a mistake :) it would be very difficult to recover from.

D.

I had to head back early so I was taking a ferry back to seattle when you guys were coming the other way.

I wanted to try the airline tubing only. maybe in the future.

Ok Brad but trust me on this. If you're going to use the flex airline method, you should instead opt for that black hose that came with the original Maxijet. It is much tougher and will last whereas the clear flex tubing will eventually fail. :)

D.

Also when I'm more settled, unpacked my tools and stuff I'll post some pictiures of how the rigid tube inside magnet method is done. It's actually really easy to do.

D.

Well after the meeting yesterday colleen wanted another MJ mod so I figured I would try DH's version. I used the black mj airline and the doubble prop design. Also I lengthend the stainless rod a bit out the end cap. Then I glued the extra mj end bearing on the outside to keep the rod from coming out. I had a problem with this before. Anyway here is a few pics. The doubble prop works great!
Scott:)

the rigid in the magnet only is what I wanted to do. it is on the mjmods website. that is what I would think is the best method. when you attach with flex tubing you have a weak spot for flexing and vibration which in time can weaken and cause failure.

Also instead of the double prop, the bigger kit with the larger prop will push more water.

Yea well I guess we'll have to see how long it holds up. It is the design you have been building for the club. Except for the doubble prop. Well, have to make due with supplies you have at the time.
Hope to see the rigid tubing mod also.
Scott

Colleen,
I got a request for five more kits. I still need to fix a IOU for Leng Sy also. I got busy and did not pay you for kits at last meeting. So I could use 7 kits total please. If anyone would like to see one of these in person. I have one that I let them operate to see how well they work. I am planning on showing this to as many people as possible.

Back