Mojo's Airtones Clone Skimmer =)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I was thinking about that Mike. I have a bunch of crap shoved into the bathroom that is about 7 ft. away from my tank. I was wondering if I closed the door on that, if it would be able to significantly muffle the sound from the pump.

How loud would you say these whitewater pumps are? More so than an Iwaki 55rlt?

Peace,
John H.

I have a very stupid question.....

Can we use a regular air compressor found in local hardware store? They have the pressure and psi... and can be easily controlled by air regulators. It has a tank so it doesnt need to run 24/7....

Is this a valid question? can this be done?

I think the the one problem with air compressors is that they will throw out oil or whatever lubricant they use in them and this will clog up the airstones... not to mention kill your inhabitants.

Peace,
John H.

Another big problem w/ that Cesar is that it will be very very loud when it does kick back on. I think that it would still kick on and off several times a day.

Katchupoy said:
I have a very stupid question.....

Can we use a regular air compressor found in local hardware store? They have the pressure and psi... and can be easily controlled by air regulators. It has a tank so it doesnt need to run 24/7....

Is this a valid question? can this be done?

You can use one designed for a air brush. They are oilless and can be regulated. The problem is they are just as loud as Mikes. I'm hoping the smaller ones a have less noise.

Don

mojoreef said:
You cold always have the pump somewhere else and run the air tue to the tank

Mike

Mike..I have a quesstion, having the air pump located away say 12 ft' more or less from the skimmer, will this alter or loose some amount of air coming from the airpump? :confused:

reeffan

not really because of the PSI rating on the pump. I believe Mike said that you could run that pump up to 30' away without any loss.
isaac

I ran mine over a 100 feet away with out a noticable loss of air

Jon did you sound check it when it was hooked up?? it is three times as load when the tubing is not attached.

Mike

Thats good news :razz: . I thought it would loose some power like the water pumps.

The airpump is pretty loud when i plug it without the tubing and airstones connected. Hopefully i could get the airstones soon so i can play with it.

reeffan

mojoreef said:
I ran mine over a 100 feet away with out a noticable loss of air

Jon did you sound check it when it was hooked up?? it is three times as load when the tubing is not attached.

Mike

Still waiting for the airstones, i've called aquaticsecosystems yesterday and told me it should be here any day now. I'll probably just have to call UPS and see when my package arrives. I really want to see how this skimmer up and running.....

reeffan

Last edited:
Sorry bro, i've been busy filling up my costumer orders. I have all the parts for the skimmer and have not finish the skimmer yet. As soon i finish my orders, i will defenitely finish this skimmer.

reeffan

IS anyone making small skimmers for say..... a 16 gallon ??? I would love to have a skimmer on my tank but I cant get my hands on one that wont over-skim!!!

gobyit,
What are you keeping? I really dont feel you can overskim.

Reeffan, are you planning on marketing these?

Nick

Just want to keep you an update on this skimmer. So sorry took too long for me to get arround it. I replace the air pump LT15 to LT19. I find the LT15 a little under powered to run the two airstones. The airstones has been running for about couple of months now and i have not clean both stones and yet and no sign decrease bubble lost. However, even though the airstones are fine pore still produces large bubbles. Here's some pics.

reefan

Last edited:
maxx said:
gobyit,

Reeffan, are you planning on marketing these?

Nick

Nick, the skimmer is not going to be in the market for 1-2 months. Im trying to find out how long would the airstones last before it needs cleaning. Since im still new using this stones, i like to find out what are the pros and cons.

reeffan

Back