Mojo's Airtones Clone Skimmer =)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

RedEyeReef said:
Have you got the right air stones yet?

I just got my Sweetwater Linear II 56 and 4 - 3" air stones in the mail today. Now I just need time to convert my skimmer and see the MOJO in action.

Not yet, but they're in order and should be here next week. Oh, yeah can you also post pics when you get your skimmer running?

reeffan

Will do, I forgot to get a manifold for my air pump. When I get my hands on one I will start my tranformation.

Ok, i recieve the stones from AES (fine pore) and installed it today but the bubbles are still way too large. Im not sure why the stones are creating big bubbles.

Mike, if you see this post any idea on how to fix this problem. I will post some pics sometimes this week for everyone to see.

reeffan

Is it possible that you are overdriving the stones, or overdriving the skimmer? Each stone should have an optimal injection rate, and I wonder if the effect of exceeding this produces larger bubbles? The skimmer will only support a certain water/gas ratio, and its possible you are exceeding that. But I thought you had put up some images previously where you just had big bubbles, not like an overdriven skimmer.

Last edited:
Reefean i recently built one of these as well. I bought 6 of the Fine Pore AES stones each rated for .3cfm Im getting bubbles that are way too large as well. Let me know what you find out

Hmmm are these the sweetwater fine pore diffusors, page 278?? The bubble size for them is only around .5 MM which is tiny??
What about the amount of water in the skimmer?? Try this Jon, bring the water level up to the neck of the skimmer, at the flange. then turn the air down, and slow increase it while watching the bubble size. I think you have to much air compare to the amount of water in the skimmer.

Mike

Under sized air hose will cause the bubble size to increase. Use no smaller than 3/8.

Don

i ordered mine from online, Sweetwater Fine Pore Air/Ozone diffusers AS50

I have a 2.1 CFM Airpump driving 6 of them each stone is rated for .3 CFM so 1.8CFM total.

I have them in an 8inch diameter skimmer the reaction chamber is about 19-20" and the neck is reduced to 3.5" and is 10" or so tall. Any suggestions or anything look way out of wack

DonW i never knew that. I ordered the ones with 1/4" connections i thought they would be easiest. How does a small diameter hose increase bubble size?

mojoreef said:
Hmmm are these the sweetwater fine pore diffusors, page 278?? The bubble size for them is only around .5 MM which is tiny??
What about the amount of water in the skimmer?? Try this Jon, bring the water level up to the neck of the skimmer, at the flange. then turn the air down, and slow increase it while watching the bubble size. I think you have to much air compare to the amount of water in the skimmer.

Mike

Mike, i got the ones that you told me to get. The water height in the main chamber is about 30" high, pretty close from the first top flanges. I'll try to bring the water level up and see if it will help.

reeffan

DonW said:
Under sized air hose will cause the bubble size to increase. Use no smaller than 3/8.

Don

Don, thanks for the suggestion. I'll go ahead and use 3/8 tube. I didnt think it will affect the bubble size using a 1/4 tube :D

jonathan

Fishfood2581 said:
DonW i never knew that. I ordered the ones with 1/4" connections i thought they would be easiest. How does a small diameter hose increase bubble size?

Beats me I couldnt figure it out. With the lt91 and 4 of the alr150cp stones I had vibration noise problems. I tried 1/4 3/8 and 1/2 the 3/8 made less noise and finer bubbles. It also took a few weeks for the stones to settle down and start looking really even.

Don

reeffan said:
Don, thanks for the suggestion. I'll go ahead and use 3/8 tube. I didnt think it will affect the bubble size using a 1/4 tube :D

jonathan

Tech guy at aquatico told me every thing has to be balanced. Sure enough balancing everything to design specs cured all my issues.

Don

ill have to give the larger tubing a try. 3/8" ID or OD

That is another thing i was thinking i just started running these things yesterday so i thought they may need a breakin. It also seems they are very sensitive to hands in the water.

piercho said:
Is it possible that you are overdriving the stones, or overdriving the skimmer? Each stone should have an optimal injection rate, and I wonder if the effect of exceeding this produces larger bubbles? The skimmer will only support a certain water/gas ratio, and its possible you are exceeding that. But I thought you had put up some images previously where you just had big bubbles, not like an overdriven skimmer.

Good point...It's possible that i have too much air pushing the stones. But heres what im running with the skimmer:

2 x 6 inches finepore airstone (equivalent of 1 cfm) run by LT15 which is about 1.5 cfm. I also installed a check valve to control the air amount pushing the airstones. Even if i restrict or lower the air, the bubbles are way too big.

Im going to try Mike's suggestion, to raise the water level inside the chamber and see if it will work.

reeffan

Fishfood2581 said:
ill have to give the larger tubing a try. 3/8" ID or OD

That is another thing i was thinking i just started running these things yesterday so i thought they may need a breakin. It also seems they are very sensitive to hands in the water.

I used the 1/2od 3/8id rodi type tubing. Yes putting hands in the tank would knock down my 24x6 of foam instantly.

Don

not even knocking he foam down i knew it woudl do that. but the size of the bubbles i get dramatically incrreases when i put my hands in the water

Fishfood2581 said:
not even knocking he foam down i knew it woudl do that. but the size of the bubbles i get dramatically incrreases when i put my hands in the water

Let it break in. :)

Don

Weird I use the 1/2 id on mine, no particular reason just had some lieing around. Thier was no break in period either, it just started going.
Try it like I said Jon just for experiment sake, change the hos but then cut the air intake in half and leave it for an hour, then check and adjust it again. Their is definately a sweet spot, on my skimmer I can hear it, it goes to a dull humm.

Mike

Ok i gave it a try, Almost working but i think my skimmer design wasnt right. Couldnt get everything balanced. So if anyone wants a Super Quiet, Almost silent airpump they can keep inside that puts out over 2 CFM at 5psi im selling it. Used for 2 weeks not even. I also have 6 Aquatic Eco Fine Pre diffusers and 2 limewood diffusuers. Paid over $150 for al this stuff. $75 for everything + shipping

Back