Most Common Mistake you see....Please add one and move on so all can share..

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

making sure the woman in ur life knows that you'll be spending all ur time and money on this hobby and she may need to wait if there are any reef emergency's... lol ;)

Buying the low end product to save money. It never works out like that because you will have to replace the piece when it breaks or stops working. Then you will have to buy the one you though it was too expensive.

Mixing Aggressive Softies with SPS....

Mixing Devils hand, Toad stool leather with SPS in a small tank without charcoal. I have watched many do this. A lot of Softies produces Tangents that shrink the growth of SPS and possible kill it.

Not cleaning powerheads and pumps often enough..

I tried to keep my calcium levels pretty high this year with out my calcium reactor. Raising your calcium levels too rapidly and your powerheads sieze sometimes. Even my Euro-Reef skimmer pump(sedra 5000) froze.
Here is a fix for those that have calcium build up too fast. I spoke to Euro-Reef Rep Chip today. He states If you are dosing Calicum and not using a Calcium Reactor, you should clean your pumps once a month. Again, with Calicium reactor you can be a little more relaxed. Chip recommends using vinegar, Tunze Rep Roger recommends the same. Again, if you are using powerheads and dosing Calcium, its recommended to clean your pumps once a month... I feel bad for all the powerheads I bad mouthed in the past.

using mark weiss products such as reef vital dna. the only thing vital about it is that you leave it on the shelf you found it on!

Yeah those GFCI outlets are awesome. I had a freshwater bait tank in my garage this summer with crayfish and minnows and such. The tank had an old strip light on it and will I was pulling out some crayfish the I hit the light and the "guts" of the light fell out of the frame and into the tank. I saw it coming but couldn't pull out my arm in time. As I was sitting stunned in the dark on my garage floor I began to appreciate the beauty of GFCI.

i try cleanin my powerheads every water change, Ed when you say clean them with vinager, do you use just vinager or do you mix it with water?.

Being bullheaded and suffering through numerous rock slides...can anyone say Avalanche...before finally accepting the fact that gravity affects things in water, too. Learned the hard way to drill, anchor and epoxy the rockwork!

To the Gabster

i try cleanin my powerheads every water change, Ed when you say clean them with vinager, do you use just vinager or do you mix it with water?.
Sorry for late reply Gabby:) . I use water and vinegar. Just a splash of vinegar and then rest water in a old empty Instant Ocean bucket. I will sometimes let powerhead run for hours inside it after I clean it up, is that anal or what.

Not washing Hands inbetween touching corals....

Corals produce a slime coat when they feel threated. Corals are constantly fighting for territory. You transfering a slime from one coral to another does not help your coral population. That slime coat can harm other corals. That is one reason people like a lot of flow inside their tank. It keeps things off the coral besides feeding it. Please wash your hands and rinse inbetween touching corals. :) You will have more corals if you do, or just much healthier ones.

Sorry for late reply Gabby . I use water and vinegar. Just a splash of vinegar and then rest water in a old empty Instant Ocean bucket. I will sometimes let powerhead run for hours inside it after I clean it up, is that anal or what.

awesome dood Thanks :D , i usually just clean them with a tooth brush but i'll try that.

Back