Most Common Mistake you see....Please add one and move on so all can share..

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hi,

In my short experience of marine keeping the contradictions that are out there you ask the same question to everyone and everyone has a different answer

My biggest mistake was not getting a drilled tank to start with. As much as Id like to run a refuigium, the cheap HOB overflows keep me from doing it. Cant afford a flood.

compulsive buys at the LFS........ had to break that habit real quick, as it was hurting my wallet and my tank inhabitants (damsels are the devil!)

Use of Copper (Big No when it comes to Reef Tanks)

I saw people using Copper. Copper is present in Saltwater yes. But a very, very small amount of copper in saltwater. Copper should not be dosed in a reef tank. Dosing copper could kill your invertebrates. That also goes for using copper parts in a reef aquarium.

Recent mistakes:

1) I noticed my auto water top off was disconnected then I connected it and forgot to monitor the ph it was up to 8.69 before i pulled it !

2) Forgetting to check for kalk in the kalkwasser reactor on a regular
basis- (***Oh so thats why my ph was so low***)

3)Flooding the floor Oh so many times. Not alot just a gallon or less but for various reasons.

4) Buying my airconditioner too close to the heat wave we had (It was on the floor and the electricity was not yet hooked up )

5)Because my 55 gallon with a tricke filter and never had nitrates though I tested fairly often. I did not test for them in my 180 !!! ( ***it's slowly coming down now*** )

6) Being human and impatient wanting the corals I planned for before ALL of my equipment was installed!!

7) Not planning sufficently to make water changes easier. I never saw an easy way with the containers I had so I never installed a container withnew saltwater ready to change anytime ( *** next on my list to do ***)

Water changes done wrong..

People mixing thier salt mix inside the tank with animals. Premix your saltwater externally in a bucket, trash can, or container. Please use a power head to mix. The power head aireorates the salt allowing proper ph besides mixing. Use a heater to get water the same temperature as tank you are adding to. Mix your salt to the same saliinity as tank you are adding saltwater mix. If possible add water to sump to cause less stress to animals. Ph and temperature are the two main killers of fish transportation.

Mixing water and electricity.

Ok, so it has to be done, but don't forget that the two don't mix. Handle plugs with dry hands. Always inspect your cords to ensure they are intact. Use grounded plugs and outlets. Use a GFCI outlet.

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not..

Not using GFCI receptacles for items that can and do get wet.

Putting drip loops on all electronics under the stand.

Making sure that no electrical power strips ar elaying down in the bottom of the stand. Seriously if you are using a power strip it should be screwed onto the side of your stand where water cannpt get to it.

i get this one at my store alot.

"My fish just died, and I'm not sure why. I'd like to get another."

hmm

1) probidio
2) forgetting what anti siphon holes are
3) leaving the tap open on my 55 gallon top off system and walking away
4) adding buffer while drinking

Not cleaning your skimmer's air intake (euro-reef type skimmers)

Yeah - what gives with those air intakes on the euro-reefs. Mine was running great with no problems for like 2 years. Now, I'm having to clean it out like every couple days or it simply doesn't skim.. It just gets junked up with salt creep now and totally plugs the whole letting no air in. Any ideas on a diagnosis of why this would start all of a sudden? any known cures for this?

Also - yes - I have a few

• When moving - don't try to do it all by yourself (you need several strong friends or you'll end up dropping it)
  • When moving - you need to move quickly and carefully. Think of an action plan before you start emptying the contents of the tank into tubs or buckets
  • make sure you do your research on fish compatability before you buy
  • ohh and although its been mentioned several times before, I've also fell victim to the leaving the RODI on too long and flooding the house - DOHH!

I don't have a quaranteen tank, but after reading this post think I might add one.

good idea for a post! and if anyone has any solutions for me on the euroreef skimmer thing, post 'em or PM me. I'm baffled why it started all of a sudden.

:evil: buying used glass tank with the hole pre drilled,,,before you know it ,,already too lated:evil:

Yeah Dang,
I saw that tank at big T's. Must of made a helluva noise!:eek:

Buying a cheap skimmer......not testing water.

Back