Most Common Mistake you see....Please add one and move on so all can share..

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Telling my wife the estimated start up costs for this hobby ( almost 2x what I figured initially...).

Not reading over the order b4 hiting the "finalize order" and reseveing the wrong item you orded.

:)

Last edited:
Not making sure that when I unpacked all my gear and gathered up all my paperwork/warranty papers that there was also included a local 12 step meeting list for reefaholics.

Hi my name is chuck and I am a reefaholic

Hi my name is jon, and im adicted to reefer'in

youll see me out on the corner holding my nano, with busted up cloths missin a shoe. or me pushing my tank in a cart

Has someone said putting a powerstrip under their Over the back skimmer, or putting a powerstrip where it can easily be hit by water? Saltwater and electricity could lead to fire.

Using one heater to heat a long tank. That's just asking for trouble.

i have always used one heater for my tanks... they have all been 4ft or under..i put mine near a powerhead so that it circulates the heated water...i am about to set up a 6ft tank, but i will have the heater in the sump.

Learning which fish are compatible....Where is Scott Michael?
My fish ate another fish, you should have read his book..

i leave my RO unit valve open while i'm filling up a bucket..i walk off and come back to a flood...this happens very frequently.....i have an awful memory!!!!

Believing everything I read on Reef Frontiers.....couldn't resist peoples ;)

placeing a full collection cup on the carpet after removeing it to tape a wire fast.

needless to say, i nocked it over, and spilled almost all of the nice dark smellie shzt on the carpet

Hooking up an RODI unit or anything for that matter and assuming that it will not leak the first time you turn it on.

I always check on new equipment every hour to see if anything s leaking so i can stop it before it does any major damage.

Thanks to Ed for offering this solution on my Nitrate issues..

Forgetting or never cleaning your builtin overflows. :) Talk about a detrites trap....

James,
Thank you for all the help you have given to others at the meeting!
I only give oppinions, are they good, I do not know. But I hope they are..
Thank you for being so helpful to others again James!
Sincerely,
Ed:)

most common mistake I've made/seen, thinking "this'll be cheap, I'll just cut corners here,here,here,here, what do you mean I only have 20gph of flow?!

Adding fish (2 small Regal Tangs) without quarantine. That was my worst mistake. They were dead within 4 weeks.

Back